Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan running during sleep mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bubblegirl

Bubblegirl

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

It might because I'm paranoid, but I want to know if that is normal. My laptop had been closed for hours and the fan started running.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

Please post the computer model next time. That behavior means the laptop did not enter sleep mode successfully. Just had this problem with my HP laptop most noticeably after the last BIOS update months ago when closing the lid and set to enter sleep mode. Its a sporadic issue as when it cannot change to sleep mode the fan would kick in at high speed but a blackscreen is shown upon opening the screen so I have to press the power button to manually turn it off.

Tekken

#3 ComputerTechGuy

ComputerTechGuy

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

Possibly correct not always will a computer go in to sleep mode properly especially with a laptop and you just shut down the Lid with the laptop still running then the answer would be that is normal and the fan is doings it's job. if the fan is hard working you should take in to account the fan may need cleaning and the thermal compound updating in order to keep the correct temperature of the processor.

I would recommend you look in to getting the fan cleaned anyway. especially as it is a laptop and dust is common for blocking the fans and causing overheating issues.

Download this tool: http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

and let us know the temperature of the CPU, Mainboard and Hard Disk I will let you know if it is to hot.

and finally sleep mode facts: when you put a computer or laptop in to sleep mode the memory is still running and hard disk set to standby so your computer / laptop components are still working in the background just 1/2 the power required so if the memory was to get hot the fan would kick in and cool in down that is the job and functionality of the fan.

I hope this has answered your question.

Kind Regards

ComputerTechGuy     

#4 Bubblegirl

Bubblegirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for your response.

CPU -  46 °C

Motherboard - 45 °C

Hard Drives -  37 °C

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:22 PM

Please post the computer model next time.

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users