Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Hard Drive Detected

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jonnysixtoes

jonnysixtoes

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

I booted up my pc the other day and a message came up to say No hard drive detected then it booted into safe mode with no networking.

I have since added another hard drive and put windows 7 on it and it now dual boots, the second drive boots normally, but the first drive still boots into safe mode and i get a message saying bootmgr missing when i insert the asus motherboard disc.

I can access the first hard drive from the second one and the information is there but i just can't boot into it in normal mode, there is no noises coming from the hard drive and chkdsk shows everything to be fine.

I did get a message from command prompt to say the bitmap was corrupted and that files were corrupted on the first drive.

I have tried from command prompt on the first drive the following:

Bootrec /rebuildbcd

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

I got a successful message on them all, but the problem remains.

Please Help. Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonnysixtoes

jonnysixtoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

I have now updated the bios and the message saying no hard drive detected doesn't appear anymore but i still boot into safe mode does anyone have any idea's how to remedy this.

Thanks for any help

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

Corruipt files...can indicate a problem with Windows system files...a problem with the NTFS partition...or a problem with the hard drive itself, among other things.

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have a legal Win 7 install DVD?

Louis

#4 jonnysixtoes

jonnysixtoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

Manufaturer ASUSTeK Computer inc.

Model  P8P67-M PRO (LGA1155)

yes i have windows 7 disc

i also got pc built for me its not shop bought

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:14 PM

My first order of business...would be to remove any data files from the troublesome driver and place them on the other drive, space permitting.

Errors such as you listed...I believe in being prepared for the worst, which would make the drive useless.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#6 jonnysixtoes

jonnysixtoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:05 AM

Hi Louis

I downloaded and run BlueScreenView and it came up with zero results so im unable to post any log back, is there anything else i can try.

thanks for yr help so far.

#7 jonnysixtoes

jonnysixtoes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:59 AM

Hi Louis,

The problem has now spread to my second hard drive and I am thinking it may be due to corruption of the data by cigarrette smoke?

So I am going to wipe both drives and start again.

Many thanks for the help and suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users