Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 occasionally freezing

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Anzeroth

Anzeroth

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:48 AM

Hello,

Since I upgraded my computer I have been noticing some issues. My computer freezes randomly and stays like that for 1-2 minutes. However, sometimes it also  unfreezes after 15 seconds.

What is my problem?

My Specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/BOnmS6owfMdfjg3SHPF1JWO

Also not sure if needed, but here:

Spoiler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:14 AM

Hi anzeroth :) and :welcome: to BC

What changes that were added before the issue started? It could also be a hardware (PSU) or a software installed that is causing the problem.

Tekken

#3 Anzeroth

Anzeroth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

Hi anzeroth :) and :welcome: to BC

What changes that were added before the issue started? It could also be a hardware (PSU) or a software installed that is causing the problem.

I installed the new graphic card mentioned above and added 4 more Gigs of RAM. In addition, I change my PSU and my cooling machine.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:46 PM

Ok, does it mean a temporary freeze? On what applications or sessions?

Tekken

#5 Anzeroth

Anzeroth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:44 AM

Yes it is a temporary freeze, lasting 10-20 seconds. However sometimes my computer never unfreezes and stays frozen until I shutdown my PC. I have been noticing this freezing to occur without a specific pattern. It occured while on Firefox, another time while playing a game (Crusader Kings II) and another time while looking at my files.

What must be noted, though, is the fact that when the first freeze occurs, at least 3 more follow and can only be resolved by shutting down the computer.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

System instability is the usual choice of terms when it freeze and unfreezes. There is a latest BIOS update version for your motherboard here at Version 1902. The video card looks updated to the latest version and the SATA hard drive looks healthy other than the installed SSD needs to be updated to the latest firmware version if not already done. If the BIOS update did not cease the freezing occurance then we may be looking on other incompatibility or outdated softwares installed not disregarding the possibility of a PSU swap of same or greater wattage to check on the difference. 

Tekken

#7 professor27

professor27

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

Run "memtest" on your RAM.....I  had a perplexing series of "freeze" bouts on two different rigs in the past.....ended up being a defective "brand new RAM stick".

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

I installed the new graphic card mentioned above and added 4 more Gigs of RAM

Did you verify the extra 4GB RAM you added is compatible with the existing RAM ? . For maximum compatibility, it is always recommended to add the same model of RAM. 

Check how the system works when the new RAM unplugged .

#9 Anzeroth

Anzeroth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:20 AM

Thank you all for the replies.

Unfortunately nothing solved my problem. I installed the BIOS update as suggested and did a MemTest for 7 Hours with no errors.

I did not unplug my new RAM as suggested by Anshad as I did not know how and because if there was a problem with my new RAM, wouldn't the MemTest had shown an error?  In addition, when upgrading my PC I double checked that my new RAM was the exact same model as my previous one, which was also verified by the company that upgraded my PC.

Last but not least, I forgot to mention that whenever my PC freezes and then unfreezes, my mouse pointer changes. It goes from "Normal Selection" to "Text Selection", even though I have not highlighted a text.

Thank you in advance.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

Hi

Although Memtest86+  detected no errors, it doesn't means the RAM modules are 100 % fine . But in your case my primary suspect is this :

Core 0
Core Speed: 4120.6 MHz
Multiplier: x 40.0
Bus Speed: 103.0 MHz
Temperature: 47 °C
Thread 1
APIC ID: 0
Core 1
Temperature: 50 °C
Thread 1
APIC ID: 2
Core 2
Temperature: 50 °C
Thread 1
APIC ID: 4
Core 3
Temperature: 53 °C
Thread 1

Your CPU is overclocked and that is the the number one reason for any system to crash. (memory voltages may also tweaked )

Please disable overclocking and any voltage tweaking at least for testing. It is a big misconception among the gamers that overclocking the CPU may magically improves the FPS in games. I am a gamer myself and i didn't saw a great improvement in performance by overclocking the CPU. The fact is, none of today's games are tied to CPU clock peed. On the other hand you will  experience a different when you upgrade the CPU from a dual core to quad core or from quad core to six core. This is because most games are directly ported from eight core PS3 and hence will run smoother on a system in which it can run multiple threads at the same time. Perfect example is infamous GTA 4 port.

Your system, your choice. But it won't hurt you to run the system with stock settings for a couple of days. Enter BIOS setup and load default values. If you feel that OC is necessary, it can be re-enabled at any time you want.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 14 July 2013 - 07:15 AM.

#11 Anzeroth

Anzeroth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I'll try that and see if there are any changes. Truth is I never did overclock my system, so I have no idea how it could be overclocked.

EDIT: It seems that I had recently changed my BIOS settings to default and the freezing kept happening.

I also found out that I have 3 modes whenever I open the BIOS settings, "quiet", "normal" and "fast". I used to run on Fast but, as I said earlier, I have been running the system with stock settings for more than one week.

Edited by Anzeroth, 14 July 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#12 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

Hi

Please try the below steps.

:step1: Clear the CMOS by using the CMOS jumper. Refer page 34 of the official manual if you are in doubt.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LX/#support_Download_30

You need to short the pins 2 and 3 to clear CMOS. After doing that, put back the jumper in to normal position (shorting 1 and 2

On the next powering on , system will ask to load default values. Please do so and continue to boot. This will reset any possible frequency or voltage modifications.

:step2: Update the SSD firmware.

Unlike hard drives, SSD require up to date firmware for proper operation. Get it from the below link.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363

Both update CD and it's user guide can be found in the above link.

:step3: Make sure the new memory modules are not faulty.

It won't hurt you to simply remove the new RAM sticks and check if the issue remains. 

:step4: If none of the above steps are helping (including isolating the new memory sticks ), remove Norton Antivirus for testing. Norton is one of the most resource consuming AV program. It may worth to test the system by removing it. We recommends a light weight- crash free AV like MSE for all users.

If it is not the culprit, you can re-install at any time if you wish. 

If the problem remains, please post a new Speccy snapshot which reflects the changes.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 14 July 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#13 Anzeroth

Anzeroth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

Thanks again for the quick reply. I'll try everything and post back for any results :D

EDIT 1: My SSD was already up to date.

UPDATE: My PC froze up (nothing new here) but now it presented the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) immediately shutting down my PC and rebooting it...

Edited by Anzeroth, 15 July 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

Please try also swapping a good known PSU  of same or greater wattage if available.

Tekken

#15 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

Hi

Can you please test the integrity of RAM modules first ? . 

First run the system with all the new modules unplugged and check whether the system shows blue screens. Then remove all the old modules and plug the new modules. Repeat the test by playing games. If there is a problem with one of the module, you can identify which one by following this method.

If neither the old modules nor the new modules are faulty, follow the below steps to enable driver verifier.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/101379-driver-verifier-enable-disable.html

This will stress test all third party drivers to find the buggy ones. If it found a faulty driver, system will immediately shows a blue screen. After you get two or more blue screens, disable verifier according to the instructions (part 2 ). Then upload all the dumps located in C:\Windows\Minidump folder to a free file hosting site of your choice. Analyzing those will let us know the faulty driver.

If you are not getting any blue screens after 24 hours, you got a hardware issue .Disable the verifier and post a reply.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 15 July 2013 - 10:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users