Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender Version Update 4/12/06

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:10 AM

Microsoft released an updated version of its free Windows Defender Anti Spyware software. The installer comes in just under 6 MB -a little smaller than the earlier version. Users will need to pass the Genuine Windows check in order to download it.

new release: Windows Defender v1.1.1347.0
Signature 1.14.1396.12

prior: Windows Defender v1.1.1051.0
Signature 1.14.1396.12

Download latest version here.

Remember: This is still a beta version.

Edited by quietman7, 14 April 2006 - 07:11 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Stallcup_*

Guest_Stallcup_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:10 PM

Downloaded the installer and tried to install two times. Downloaded the installer a second time, and tried to install for the third time. Each time the installation process stopped with the message that it had been interrupted before completion, the system has not been modified and to try again at a later time.

Anybody else having problems?

#3 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:30 PM

I have problems with Defender not updating definitions. I have tried uninstall and install several times. The alert bubble keeps popping up. It will not work. I have decided to uninstall Defender until these problems are fixed. The original MS antispyware worked much better. This is a beta version and is terrible.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 03:17 PM

I had the same update problem and had to do this, then reboot:

Open C:\Programs\WindowsDefender\
Right click on AS_Sigs.MSI
Click uninstall
Then open Defender and check for new definitions using the Help options arrow next to the Windows Defender Help icon > About Windows Defender > Check for updates.

Alternate method:
1. Remove the current signature file. To do this, go to Start > Run and type:
Msiexec /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C}
Click OK.

2. Open Windows Defender and check for new definitions using the Help options arrow next to the Windows Defender Help icon > About Windows Defender > Check for updates.

On my other pc I updated MWAS beta 1's def's today and for the first time received the old 'Critical Error 101'. I had to use the fix posted here. They both are beta's and both prone to problems.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Guest_Stallcup_*

Guest_Stallcup_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:25 PM

Downloaded the installer and tried to install two times. Downloaded the installer a second time, and tried to install for the third time. Each time the installation process stopped with the message that it had been interrupted before completion, the system has not been modified and to try again at a later time. Anybody else having problems?

After several more failed attempts to install, I downloaded the installer once again when I noticed that its size was different than the installer(s) I previously downloaded, hoping that change in size represented a change in content. I was able to install without a problem and, so far, everything seems to be working OK.

I like the ability to place an icon in the notification area of the task bar to insure Defender is running. Reference the following thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/49766/defender-now-has-toolbar-icon-option/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users