Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Uninstalling Then Reinstall Windows Xp Again!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Forg0t

Forg0t

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:56 AM

Ok there's something wrong with my computer and 1 of my friends told me that 1 of the microsoft program is corrupted or watever.Than,he told me to reinstall Windows XP which i think it might work!Can someone tell me how uninstall Windows XP and reinstall again?I got the CDs..Windows XP CD and Windows ME CD!!

my computer always hang after a few minutes of using computer or maybe when it is showing Windows logon,it hanged.So..I need to fix this quick cause i am a Com-Addict!I am sure it is not virus cause i have seen my HijackThis log and scanned..Well my HijackThis log never show anything suspicious....I never go anysite before but this site + MapleStory(game) site only..

THANKS!

Edited by Forg0t, 14 April 2006 - 05:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:19 AM

It may not be necessary to re-install XP. Do you know which program is suspect? There are many reasons for computers to restart, and the most common are improper or missing/corrupted drivers, or overheating. More information would be helpful before you go through the process of re-installing. First, check your Device Manager to see if there are any obvious driver problems. Use Windows Key + Pause/Break key to open the System Properties dialog. (Windows Key is the one with the Windows logo between the ctrl and alt keys)

Click on the Hardware tab and then the Device Manager button and see if there are any yellow exclamation points or question marks. Report back what you find.

Check your system fans to make sure they're working. It may be necessary to open the case to check the processor fan. Don't touch anything inside just yet. (Electrostatic shock from your body can cause considerable damage to electronic parts.) But make sure the fans are running that you can see, especially processor and power supply. (Assuming this isn't a laptop!)

If none of this turns out to be helpful, you might have someone else look at your Hijack log if they already haven't because it takes a bit of experience to tell which is normal and which is not.

If you decide after all this that you definitely want to re-install XP, we'll be happy to point you to guides with various options, like a repair install or a complete re-install.

#3 Forg0t

Forg0t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 08:17 PM

Nope..There is no suspicious program..Even if there is,i will go look up in Internet..All my drivers seems to be working fine and my fans is also working..So..I definitely want to reinstall XP cause i really can't find any problems in here.

I hope you can reply as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Edited by Forg0t, 14 April 2006 - 08:17 PM.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:53 PM

The internet is full of sites to help you re-install XP. Here are some of them:

Michael Stevens

Transfer Activation Information

Microsoft

Geek to Live

Basically, you can back up your Favorites/Bookmarks, back up anything you don't want to lose on CD or other media (not on the hard drive), set your PC to boot from the floppy, format the drive, install Windows. Best to read a few articles to see what you're getting into before you dive in. Don't hurry - take your time. You'll need your 25-digit license key, your Windows XP CD, and patience. The actual install doesn't take long. I recommend you have an antivirus and firewall ready to install at minimum on CD before you wipe the drive. If you go out to get them after you install, you may be infected faster than you can download the first Windows Update.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:54 PM

You mentioned that you have both ME and XP cds. Does that mean that the computer originally had ME and you upgraded to XP?

In any case, what it seems that you are looking for is how to do a fresh, full install of XP.

You will find a step by step tutorial here:
New Installation with Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...installnew.mspx

Disconnect all peripherals except the mouse, the keyboard and the monitor
(use a crt monitor if possible - not a lcd flat screen)

You may find that a repair install may work, which is much simpler if it does.
To do a repair install boot from the Windows XP cd, continue to install after the first offer of "Repair" is offered, and when the second "repair" comes up choose it. (the first offer will be the repair console).

Perform a Repair Installation
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...ips/doug92.mspx

How to troubleshoot problems during installation when you upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;310064

Edited by Enthusiast, 14 April 2006 - 09:56 PM.

#6 Forg0t

Forg0t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:27 AM

Nothing..My computer still keeps hanging during the Window XP Repair Installation..What to do?

Edited by Forg0t, 15 April 2006 - 07:31 AM.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:57 AM

Are you having heat problems? Processor fan not running or slow, power supply fan running OK, etc? Dust bunnies clogging your computer? Take a look at this.

Could also be failing hardware. Bad memory, power supply. You can use a bootable memory test like Memtest 86 or MS Memtest. These will run even if you can't start the operating system.

Check your CD for scratches.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 02:44 PM

Nothing..My computer still keeps hanging during the Window XP Repair Installation..What to do?

"Q: During Setup, my computer locks up, shows a blue screen, or otherwise fails. What causes this, and what should I do?

A: Computers may stop responding during Setup because some of your computer's hardware is incompatible with Windows XP, the hardware failed, or your computer has incorrect or outdated BIOS (basic input/output system) settings. Checking your hardware settings and drivers and updating your BIOS usually solves these problems. However, you can also:

Verify that your hardware is listed in the Windows Catalog (formerly called the Hardware Compatibility List).

IMPORTANT
If your hardware isn't in the Windows Catalog, contact the hardware manufacturer to see if there's a Windows XP driver for it.

Check the "Troubleshooting Stop Errors" section of Troubleshoot Windows XP Professional page.

Check your BIOS. For more information, visit Microsoft Help and Support and search for "BIOS issues." You can also visit your computer manufacturer's Web site for information about your computer's current BIOS settings and how to obtain BIOS upgrades.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s.../installqa.mspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users