Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really Strange Title Bar "thingy"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zeroweek

zeroweek

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:37 PM

First post here. I am helping my dad out with his computer, he's noticed a weird title bar "thingy" I have attached an image. When one types as I am doing now, it would fill it's little menu bar with gibberish. I have no idea what it is. He's having other problems, can only access the internet through aol (yes, he's in his 70s and a die hard aol user). All other browsers don't work and they all have the weird thingy. 

Anybody have any experience or know what this is? Any help much appreciated. 

Attached File  weird menu bar.jpg   3.41KB   5 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:06 AM

Hi zeroweek :)

Depending on the browser being used, try going to the add-ons or plugins by the browser's Menu options or settings and see if disabling all and enabling one by one would be able to find the culprit. Good Luck.

Tekken

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

Hi -

That wording given (as shown) is not listed under any search that I have done.

If you are not able to remove it with the directions from jhays , you can try these programs.

Please download AdwCleaner to desktop.
Temporary disable your Antivirus while the program runs
Close all other running programs including your browser, as your computer will be rebooted after the scan.
Double click on the AdwCleaner icon to run the program
Vista or Win7 users Right click and select Run as Administrator
Select DELETE from the menu
Confirm with OK when asked.
A logfile will be produced after the reboot, please post it back here -

Next : Download Junkware Removal Tool (JRT)
Again disable your Antivirus while the program runs, just to avoid conflicts
Double click on the new icon to start the program
Vista or Win7 users Right click and select Run as Administrator
Follow the directions in the Black box and the program will run
Your computer will not be rebooted, but a logfile will be produced
Please post it back here -

Make sure you enable your Antivirus when completed

We can then clean up the remains with this program

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Alternate download: http://www.itxassociates.com/OT-Tools/TFC.exe
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
NOTE - TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

Thank You -

#4 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

I'd use ccleaner to 1. run cleaner and 2. delete all startup programs except antivirus and firewall.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ccleaner_slim.html

Edited by zbd, 09 June 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

I'd use ccleaner to 1. run cleaner and 2. delete all startup programs except antivirus and firewall.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ccleaner_slim.html

The following was originally posted by Animal, one of our Site Administrators.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in unpredictable results.

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

Have you checked the regional settings to make sure they are set correctly?

Have you tried running it in Safe Mode?  If the problem stops when in Safe Mode this could be a non-Windows program causing this.  If this is the case you can perform a Clean Boot to find the culprit.  I will provide a tutorial for performing a Clean Boot if you need it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users