Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kboaz2001

kboaz2001

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

My wife's HP computer is really slow. I removed all of the cookies and temp files. I used several anti-virus programs to scan the computer, i.e. Avast, Microsoft Security, Malwarebytes and Kapersky and Fix-it utilities, and none of them detected any malicious software on the computer. She also has Registry Defender that pops up on the computer, and it cannot be removed through the Uninstall Program through Control Panel (it is not listed)

Is there anyone out there that has any more ideas on how to speed up the computer? I am about to pull out what little is left of my hair!

Edited by Andrew, 07 June 2013 - 07:12 PM.
Mod Edit: Moved from Win7 to AII at OP request - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

My wife's HP computer is really slow. I removed all of the cookies and temp files. I used several anti-virus programs to scan the computer, i.e. Avast, Microsoft Security, Malwarebytes and Kapersky and Fix-it utilities, and none of them detected any malicious software on the computer. She also has Registry Defender that pops up on the computer, and it cannot be removed through the Uninstall Program through Control Panel (it is not listed)

Is there anyone out there that has any more ideas on how to speed up the computer? I am about to pull out what little is left of my hair!

How old is the computer?

How much RAM is installed?

As far as the Registry Defender, it might be a result of malware/trojan:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/registry-defender-removal

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

I would definitely get rid of Registry Defender: http://www.ehow.com/about_5052895_registry-defender.html

Like many so-called "registry cleaners" it seems to be designed more to separate consumers from their money than remove registry errors. In fact, it is not recommended that registry cleaners be used at all. Changes to the registry can affect system performance, and the registry keys are set based on what programs and services are installed on that computer.

Available RAM and available free space on the hard drive can also affect system peformance. If there is less thant 40 percent free space on the hard drive, that can slow a computer down. Same with RAM. If the system is using more than 60 percent of total RAM consistently, then you'll need to install more. You can check RAM usage by right clicking the task bar, open Task Manager, and open the Performance tab.

#4 kboaz2001

kboaz2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

The computer is about 3 years old. The hard drive is about 25% full and the RAM use is about 1/2 of the installed RAM. I did try malwarebytes to get rid of registry defender and it did not work.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

I would recommend you either enter a new topic in the Am I infected? forum and refer back to this thread, or ask the forum moderator to move this thread over to that forum. If Malwarebytes didn't work, there may be other, bigger issues.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

Hi kboaz2001 -

All of the above advice is highly relevant, and I hope the extras I have added may help -

First try to download Malwarebytes AntiMalware to desktop in Safe Mode with Networking

See the Tutorials at the top of Windows 7 area for directions on Safe Mode if needed.

Check for updates and run a Quick Scan only

Paste the finished log back here.

You could also do the same with SUPERAntiSpyware and post the log back here.

Fix-It Utilities - Typical scam tool that "Must" be Removed ASAP
Fix Problems & Speed Up Windows - Will not speed anything up
Windows Registry Cleaner - Your Registry is not dirty, or in need of "cleaning"
Stop PC Crashes & Freezes - It is not doing this at all
Repair System Errors - Again it is not doing anything
Total Virus & Spyware Protection - It is not an Antivirus
Complete PC Maintenance - It will not perform any "maintenance"
Program Optimizer, Speeds program launch and response by fixing slowdowns - Never will -

If you did pay for this, :hello: goodbye to your money.

If this Registry Defender looks anything like your problem, please post to Am I Infected or try the advice in the DIY link I have posted.

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users