Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Certified Toolbar ....what is it? why is it? What to do about it?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AmyAnne

AmyAnne

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

1000 pardons if this is addressed elsewhere, but I didn't see it.

Certified Toolbar appeared about a week ago at sign on, and has presented messages from anime, car adverts, and scare tactics concerning my computer being on the verge of crashing....it can fix up everything, of course....for free.   I ignore it and go right to my homepage.  I have not clicked on anything because I'm pretty sure it's up to no good.

I looked on line for a removal suggestion, and I got conflicting info.  Most say it's an evil virus that hyjacks searches, among other things, but some say it's a new beneficial way of increasing search possibilities.  Which is correct?  Or is it something else?

I'm reluctant to try the "DELETE IT HERE" choices, fearing that's yet another virus gateway.  

If those fixes are legit, how can I tell?  And which one is best?

I truly appreciate your help/info!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

The main purpose of this toolbar is to make unsuspecting PC users use the search engine that is presented in search.certified-toolbar.com When computer users clicks on the sponsored results which are returned while using the mentioned search bar a person or a company receives revenue.

You may have gotten it bundled with something that was offered "free".

To uninstall Click on Start < select Programs and Features> look for Certified Toolbar and Uninstall.

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
Close all open programs and internet browsers.
Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
Click on Delete.
Confirm each time with Ok.

If you experience any further problems wait for an Advisor to offer assistance.

Edited by sikntired, 06 June 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

Hello, we have a  Removal guide for this here ,,, scroll to the Automated Removal Instructions

Remove the Search.certified-toolbar.com Browser Hijacker

You need to run RKill before the the removal tool  such as suggested above.
You can still run  AdwCleaner  but after step 17.

Let us know how it is.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 AmyAnne

AmyAnne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:21 PM

THANKS very much for the info.  I'll report back if something goes wrong, otherwise please assume "mission accomplished".  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users