Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Windows 7 CD has broken on the unreadable side

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xspeed

xspeed

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

Hi, 

My Windows 7 CD has broken on the unreadable side. The readable side is good.

I have tried to copy it on another CD but it gives an error, I think because of the broken side.

The thing is that I formatted the C partition and install the windows from the broken cd, it worked.

Do you know what should I try to make a copy of the CD ?

Thank you !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

Hi,

I am amazed that it worked to allow you to do a Windows install, but at least that means that the disc is readable still. I can suggest two possible options for you.

1   Try and record an image of the disc, then write that to a DVD, or, 2   Try a different software to do the job. If you don't have anything else, see if a friend has.

If all else fails, and on this I am willing to be corrected, but I understand that so long as you have the original installation key you can use a borrowed disc if you need to do a re-install at any time.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

If all else fails, and on this I am willing to be corrected, but I understand that so long as you have the original installation key you can use a borrowed disc if you need to do a re-install at any time.

Yes, that is correct. I believe that Microsoft now puts all version of Windows 7 on one disc, so I believe any Windows 7 disc will work. You do need to make sure that you are installing the correct/same version as what you license key if for.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

xspeed, on 06 Jun 2013 - 2:22 PM, said:
Hi,

My Windows 7 CD has broken on the unreadable side. The readable side is good.

I have tried to copy it on another CD but it gives an error, I think because of the broken side.
The thing is that I formatted the C partition and install the windows from the broken cd, it worked.

Do you know what should I try to make a copy of the CD ?

Thank you !

Your other overall option would be to clone/image the installation right after you install it (i.e. before you install any third party applications or drivers). Then if you ever need to "reinstall", you just "restore" from the clone/image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users