Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will The Sun Rise Tomorrow?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 oRCaz

oRCaz

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:43 AM

I know this question is a bit the stupid, but I need help for my philosophy essay. The question is what justifies us in believing that sun will rise tomorrow. Please refrain from playing with the language like if you live in north pole, there will not be sun rise or sth like dat. I need a philosophical response. Thanx!
:: Orcaz signing off ::

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 04:06 AM

Nothing. There is no sure way if knowing if the sun will rise tomorrow. Look at Hume and the problem of induction.

In reason for believing look at Science and the hypothetical-deductive method.

Those I believe are the classical themes concerning the suns risingness. Of course you could branch out into dozens of other philosophical lines of thought and apply them to the problem. :thumbsup: You could discuss the uniformity principle or take an Kantian look at it. You could approach it from an epistemological point of view and discuss what and a justified belief is. You could also look at it in the tradition of philosophy of mind and what believing really is and if it can exists.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:09 AM

The sun has been rising for billions of years and will rise well and beyond our term on this planet...The sun will become extinct one day by virtue that it will burn out, but before then our planet will remain here even if/when humans destroy all life on the planet, so then it becomes a question of if a tree falls in the woods does it make a sound...

Edited by snyper, 14 April 2006 - 05:10 AM.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:29 AM

Then, of course, you could always ask, what does it mean that we can ask that question, and from what horizon/perspective does it make sense to ask it?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:32 PM

The sun APPEARS to rise.
Consider the objective & subjective or relatavistic aspects of the human mind & physics & quantum physics in particular.
An example being time is relative not absolute...

#6 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:27 AM

Cool topic Orcaz,

I was about to say inductive reasoning, but someone else already mentioned it so ...

What philosophy class? College or high school?

#7 vise

vise

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 05:59 AM

like medab1 mentioned - the sone appears to rise - therefore the question needs readjusting. Using correct terminology the queston needs to be refrained to - will we see the sun tommorrow - or sumthign like that. The sun is always in one position - the eart spins on an axis and has a (whats the word) - well its bent a bit. theres a question inside tjhe question aswell -
it all depends on your location - If you are in Iceland - there is no sun for over half a year

So will the sun be seen in Rejkavik?

#8 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:32 AM

History of Philosophy: Modern P3010-010
Handout 6b
Hume's Problem of Induction

Will the sun rise tomorrow?
Justified by reason? Justified by experience?
No: It is logically possible that "The sun always rose in the past"
the sun might not rise tomorrow.
Induction not justified by reason alone
Needs a bridge principle: "the future
will be like the past" (the Uniformity
Principle)
Uniformity Principle: justified by reason? Uniformity Principle: justified by experience?
No: It is logically possible that the "In the past, the future was like the past"
future might not be like the past. The
bridge principle not justified by reason alone.
Requires a bridge principle
But the bridge principle needed is
simply the Uniformity Principle at issue!

#9 vise

vise

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:40 AM

:thumbsup: in english please

#10 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:42 AM

ah, i havnt a clue... i jus googled it...copy and paste...i tawt it might help him.. :thumbsup:

#11 vise

vise

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:53 AM

lol

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:16 AM

Here are some relevant links:

http://dieoff.org/page126.htm
More from a philosophy of science viewpoint, but also Popper's discussion of the problem.
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:1ehdSb...us&ct=clnk&cd=6
A short commentary on Hume's Enquiry
http://grace.wharton.upenn.edu/~sok/papers.../induction.html
A Phenomenological discussion.

The literature continues to the present day, and Hume's criticism has yet to be definitively answered.

Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 15 April 2006 - 07:17 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#13 oRCaz

oRCaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:28 AM

Cool topic Orcaz,

I was about to say inductive reasoning, but someone else already mentioned it so ...

What philosophy class? College or high school?

We call it secondary school in Singapore. The naming is a bit diff in singapore as compared to the US. We start off in primary school (6yrs), then secondary school (4yrs), then junior college(2yrs) and lastly, college. Philosophy is a compulsory subject in my school, altho the other normal sec schools in singapore dun even haf it. I dun really like subjects like philosphy and literature bcoz i am more inclined towards sciences. thatz why i need help in this philo question. :thumbsup:

like medab1 mentioned - the sone appears to rise - therefore the question needs readjusting. Using correct terminology the queston needs to be refrained to - will we see the sun tommorrow - or sumthign like that. The sun is always in one position - the eart spins on an axis and has a (whats the word) - well its bent a bit. theres a question inside tjhe question aswell -
it all depends on your location - If you are in Iceland - there is no sun for over half a year

So will the sun be seen in Rejkavik?

erm, I know that the question is not really clear, but our teacher has told us not to play with the language, like having no sun in the North Pole or sth liddat...

Edited by oRCaz, 15 April 2006 - 08:38 AM.

:: Orcaz signing off ::

#14 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:56 AM

The question taken as it is.. Will the sun rise tomorrow. The answer whatever anyone says is not wrong or right. It's a matter of philosophy. No one person's point of view or philosophy is right or wrong. imho

Well of course the sun will rise tomorrow. It did this morning, it has in the past and there is no reason to think it will not in the future. It might not FOR ME. I could die in my sleep.. then the sun does not rise for me. But the sun will rise regardless if I am there to see it.

The sun APPEARS to rise.
Consider the objective & subjective or relatavistic aspects of the human mind & physics & quantum physics in particular.
An example being time is relative not absolute...

I can't get my head around that... imho.. the sun not only appears to rise it DOES> It just does. I am not the only one to think so.. the birds sing, flowers bloom, the earth is nourished by the sun. SO.. the birdies know the sun is up and it is time to get that worm.

For me time is absolute until such a time comes as I get a ride in a time machine and can have it proven to me time is relative. :thumbsup: I just cannot noodle that at all. :flowers:

Edited by Pandy, 15 April 2006 - 09:18 AM.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#15 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:04 AM

WOW Pandy! :thumbsup:

Inever took you for the "philosophy" type!!

She has spoken! :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users