Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I "may be a victim of software counterfeiting"?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TEEJAY4444

TEEJAY4444

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

"You may be a victim of software counterfeiting.

To use all of Microsoft Windows,....your copy of Microsoft Windows must be validated."

I get this pop up message at start up and although the icons are still visible, my background wallpaper is also gone.

When I click the link to resolve, it wants the ser# or the orig. disc. I bought my laptop 3+ years ago and have moved twice since. Needless to say, I have NO idea where this stuff is.

What can I do???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

teejay,

You should have the windows activation key somewhere on your computer. this is most often of the back of a desktop, or the bottom of a lap top, but could be anywhere on the chassis its self. Copy the information from this key, and use this to reactivate windows.

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

If you can't find the sticker with the key on your laptop, are you able to do anything on the computer? If so, download Belarc Advisor. It will gather all the pertinent details of your system, including the Windows product key.

www.belarc.com/free_download.html

If that doesn't work, you may be forced to back up all your user data, buy a new copy of Windows, and install that on the laptop.

On the other hand, has this error ever appeared before? Are you sure it isn't malware?

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Hi -

This will just give basic security information on your system and no private information.

Download Screen317Security Check from Here and save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe (looks like padlock)
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt;
* Please Copy / Paste the contents of that document back here.
NOTE If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE (or a similar file) access the Internet, allow it to do so, as the program is 100% legal and tested.

Also: Publish a Snapshot with Speccy <<- - Follow these directions

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users