Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

file indexing in Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dmh

dmh

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

How would I change the default schedule for file indexing? My wife's new computer with Windows 8 appears to run file indexing every morning when the computer is first booted. It's that unique sound of rapid accessing of the hard drive.

With over 700,000 image files in addition to all the usual system files, it takes a very long time every day. Annoyance aside, I worry about wear and tear. 99.99% of the file locations never change.

Is it possible to change the entire schedule or limit the file endexing?  All those files are on a second hard drive so excluding that from the indexing would work if that's possible.

Thank you!!

As a secondary question, is it possible to bypass the log in feature in Windows 8 the way we could on earlier versions of Windows?

Thanks a second time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

Personally I always kept indexing off on any Windows I ever had.

I simply see no need for it.

If you want to disable it: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/disable-windows-8-search-indexing/

If you want to change its properties like scheduling see here: http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/win8/windows8-indexing-options.htm

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 dmh

dmh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

Thank you!

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

You're very welcome p22002759.gif

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

As a secondary question, is it possible to bypass the log in feature in Windows 8 the way we could on earlier versions of Windows?

you might give this a try .

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2894-log-user-account-automatically-windows-8-startup.html

Edited by caperjac, 09 June 2013 - 06:34 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users