Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast definitions updater

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 neko3000

neko3000

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

I've noticed recently that whenever Avast updates its definitions its trying to run a series of large unprouncable .exe file names (such as a series of random letters and numbers). Is this something Avast has always done and are these just temp definition update packs or something? All the tests I've done so far are not reporting a problem so I'm guessing its ok but just looking for some confirmation. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

Hi neko -

Do you run Version 8 of avast! and what Firewall do you run ?

I checked several similar questions on avast forum recently and this is a copy of one post on avast! forum in relation to recent updates over the last few months :

Question =

Online Armor questioned about 3 weird .exe files like :
92d1d255-f490-4c4a-90ca-1e19926aea5f.exe, 0.0.0.0, (0.0.0.0)
C:\Windows\TEMP\92d1d255-f490-4c4a-90ca-1e19926aea5f.exe  Hash(MD5): D10A35D060D7164FFFE2CD7195EEA2DF
This happened after I upgraded to V 8. 

I opened file location and I saw one of them was in the Avast directory.

Reply =

The general reply was "not to worry" about these in updates.

Thank You -

#3 neko3000

neko3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

Hi, yes av8. Thanks for the help, seems strange they wouldn't have given more of a notification about it. I guess its ok to allow the updater to do its thing and forget about it?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

My understanding from info posted at that avast forums is that those long alpha-numerical file names are related to avast Emergency Update Checker which creates them in a temp folder when checking to see if there is an emergency update present. This feature (introduced in v7) allows avast to roll out updates in the event there is an issue where the avast service is not able to state.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users