Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-aware Keeps On Restarting My Computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 silverrain

silverrain

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:32 AM

I've had Ad-Aware for quite some time and has worked fine for me (although it's been a few months since my last scan), just today i checked for updates etc and now when I start the scan, about 10 seconds later after there is 1 Critical, the toolbar goes grey, and then my computer restarts.
Today I downloaded Spybot Search & destroy which cleaned up a few problems I had, and I also downloaded Spyware Blaster, but this was after the initial As-Aware problem. I've also tried to scan through Safe Mode also, which did not work.
Can anyone help me out? I'm really a novice to all the technical side to the computer. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:30 AM

Unfortunately, Spyware Blaster is on the list of Suspect/Rogue Antispyware Programs found HERE. You must get rid of it. I suggest using Uninstall Plus. It is a program that is available on a trial basis HERE. I use it regularly and like it. Not only will it start a specific program's uninstaller, but then it will search the registry for any traces of the deleted program.

How to get rid of your infection depends upon what you are infected with. Another idea is to download the trial version of SpySweeper HERE. It is an excellent program, and if you decide to keep it, it is worth every penny IMHO.

Other than that for help with removing your infection I would like to refer you to the Highjack This (HJT) forum here at BleepingComputer.com:

First: Read the Preparation Guide found HERE. It is very important that you follow ALL of the instructions found within. (There are many important steps in this guide that may clean your computer.)

Second: Post your system information along with a brief description of the problems you are having, and your HJT log in the HJT forum found HERE.

NOTE: Please, after you post your HJT log DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post there will be 1 reply. The team member glancing over the replies might think someone is already helping you out and will not respond. So, just make your post and let it sit there until a team member responds. The volunteers who work that forum are very busy, so please be patient and wait. It can sometimes take a few days for a response. If after 5 days you still have gotten no response, then post a link to your HJT log HERE.

Third: If, after finishing your work with the folks at the HJT forum you have issues with XP related to the removal of the infection, then come back in here and let us help you get your computer back to normal.

You are in good hands! Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 silverrain

silverrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:26 AM

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated :thumbsup:

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:09 AM

JavaCool's Spyware Blaster is not on the Rogue Spyware list! There is another program exploiting the name. If you have Javacool's program, it is excellent and highly recommended. Spyware Blaster works by blocking known bad Active X exploits and is a great addition to a spyware arsenal, particularly since it uses no resourece in the background.

If the Spyware Blaster you have is not from Javacool, uninstall it.

Edited by Herk, 14 April 2006 - 10:10 AM.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:21 AM

BTW - have you tried running Ad-Aware in Safe Mode? Perhaps something that's killing it will be disabled in Safe Mode and it will be able to complete.

#6 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:27 PM

Guys ! Do note the spelling difference btween JavaCool's "SpywareBlaster" and the rogue app "Spyware Blaster".

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:50 PM

Do note the spelling difference btween JavaCool's "SpywareBlaster" and the rogue app "Spyware Blaster".

Gotcha. Well the original post in this thread says Spyware Blaster, with a space, but I suppose it would be easy to have misspelled it.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 03:19 PM

After trying Adaware in safe mode (after updating its definitions and possibly the version being used), I suggest you post a HJT log in our HJT Forum.

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum,
here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly.

Following instructions create a HJT log, and POST THE HJT LOG YOU CREATED IN OUR HJT FORUM – not in this forum,
at this link.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html
Include the specs for your computer (ie, processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and briefly describe the problem you are experiencing.)

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not use the Hijack This program to try to fix anything by yourself as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your operating system inoperable.
Some files when in one folder may be fine while in another may be malware.

A member of our HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance.

It may take a period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make it different than displayed in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria they have when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log to work on might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, make your post and wait for a response from a team member.

#9 silverrain

silverrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 01:05 AM

Thanks all for you help. I downloaded Spy Sweeper which got rid of some things, and then tried Ad-Aware again and it did a full scan!
And yes, my initial post was that I had downloaded JavaCool's Spyware Blaster (on recommendation from this site) - sorry all I had no idea there was another program of similar name that has spyware.
Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users