Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop starting up normally, then consistently freezing after 5-10 minutes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wthomas11

wthomas11

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

Hi guys and gals,

Here are the main specs

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5551-P324G50Mn

Processor: AMD Athlon II P320 Dual-Core Processor

Ram: Originally 4GB, Upgraded to 6GB

As stated in the title, I am experiencing issues with freezing and have run out of ideas. As of now, I have run tests to check for both memory and virus issues. For memory I have checked both of the 2GB sticks independently that came originally with the laptop, as well as both in conjunction with a new 4GB stick I purchased from Crucial in an attempt to fix the problem. For these tests I used Memtest-64 and Windows Memory Diagnostic, with 0 errors occurring. For the virus tests I have used Avira Antivirus Free full test, RKill and Malwarebytes.

The nature of the freezing is variable with the monitor sometimes remaining on and sometimes going to a black screen. As far as I can tell the laptop does not freeze when in Safe mode, but has frozen in VGA only mode and normal mode. 

I also noticed that the laptop would sometimes seem like it was overworking, even when only one program was open. I dismantled the laptop to see if it was the condition of the fan causing an overheat, but apart from a few clumps of fluff, it appeared to be in fine condition. 

I believe that is a full summary of all I have tried thus far, I would be more than happy to provide you guys with any more information if necessary, but for now my knowledge of the issue has been exhausted.

Thanks in advance!

Will

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

The nature of the freezing is variable with the monitor sometimes remaining on and sometimes going to a black screen. As far as I can tell the laptop does not freeze when in Safe mode, but has frozen in VGA only mode and normal mode.

This tends to suggest that it might be some third party driver or program that is loading at start up.

You might want to try running msconfig and turning off all the startup programs initially and see if it still happens. If it does not, then you can systematically turn them back on until the problem crops up again (either turn on one by one, but that is a WHOLE lot of rebooting and waiting to see if the problem happens...or turn on half and see if the problem happens; if yes, then turn off half of that half, etc; if no, turn on other half, etc).

If the problem does still happen with all startup items turned off, then it is likely a driver.

#3 wthomas11

wthomas11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

Hi Smax,

Thanks for your reply.

I have just tried rebooting in 'normal' mode with all the startup programs disabled, but the computer froze again after the usual 5-10mins.

I noticed that windows update was actually in the process of downloading, but obviously it couldn't complete.

It's pretty frustrating that windows update doesn't work in safe mode, maybe those updates would help?

Also are you able to clarify your final statement, if the problem persists with all the startup programs disabled, what is my next step if I am unable to update the drivers without experiencing the inevitable freeze?

Thanks again 

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

Also are you able to clarify your final statement, if the problem persists with all the startup programs disabled, what is my next step if I am unable to update the drivers without experiencing the inevitable freeze?

Thanks again

While I could be wrong (I have never tried it myself), I believe you can remove and update drivers from within Safe Mode. Safe Mode just means that Windows does not actually load those drivers. So, if you want try to update those drivers, you likely should be able to boot into Safe Mode with Networking and go to the Device Manager to try updating each driver. The other option is the uninstall the drivers and reinstall them.

FWIW, as you are "mucking around" with the innards of Windows, you might want to have a backup. The best option might be to make a clone of the drive just to be safe.

#5 pljay03

pljay03

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

Sounds like a Windows issue to me. If you have the Windows CD, restart your computer and boot to the disc. From there, choose repair. Let me know what happens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users