Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant explorer fault

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rkolosky

rkolosky

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:52 AM

I have a machine that's running Vista Business x32. The system is in a domain, and the user is a domain user.

The user claims they weren't doing anything unusual when the error started.

In the event viewer, there are messages of explorer.exe receiving a fault from ntdll.dll. The user sees a screen that says explorer has stopped responding, and offers to restart explorer, or look for a solution and then restart explorer. The message happens only when this user logs in - if I get to the machine, I can ctrl-alt-del and click Switch User. I can then switch to another user (mine or the Administrator), and the problem doesn't come back.

Here's what I've done, all without success:

- Boot to safe mode. Problem doesn't surface, but the screen constantly flickers like it's receiving a message but won't display it. Unusable

- sfc /scannow. Ran and said it had some changes. No effect

- Restore from restore point. No effect.

- Virus Scan. MalWareBytes said nothing found

Because it only affects this user, I think it might be something in their profile, but I don't know how to migrate their profile to another profile.

Anything you can suggest would be helpful.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:05 AM

FWIW:  Fix a corrupted user profile, Vista - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile .

Louis

#3 rkolosky

rkolosky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

Solved.

Turns out that there were two files on the user's desktop that were interfering with each other.

I went to start the user profile migration, so I logged in as Administrator. When I got to the Desktop folder for the user, I got the same explorer error. After deleting the two files interfering with each other, the user is back to operating at a normal level.

Thank you Louis for the information on how to migrate the user profile.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

Nice work, glad you solved it...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users