Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No display on monitor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pljay03

pljay03

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:40 PM

Let me start off by saying that this computer has been sitting untouched for about a year due to a damaged processor. So today I bought a new processor and installed it but now I have a new issue: no display on the monitor. The motherboard has an AM2 socket and the processor I put in is a AMD Athlon II x4 640 quad core 3.0GHz  (socket AM3). But from what I read, the AMD's are backwards compatible and this specific model should defiantly work with the AM2 socket. So this is why I'm almost positive that the new processor isn't the issue. I've looked online and tried other peoples suggestions which include: switching around the RAM, removing CD-ROMs, the HDD, replacing the CMOS battery, and using a new power supply. 

I've also tried multpiple combinations of monitors/tvs & cables. For example, HDMI over DVI, VGA over DVI, VGA. I've tried with and without the NVIDIA graphics card that I installed some years back. The only thing I can think of now is downgrading the motherboard to an older spare I have lying around. 

By the way, everything else appears to be working normally. The LEDs are on, fans spinning. Just no display

CPU fan is spinning and so is the fan on the graphics card. Also, there's no beeping.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Computer specs:

1gb RAM

(brand spankin' new) AMD quad core 3.0GHz processor

Win. XP home edition

Edited by pljay03, 05 June 2013 - 11:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YourTechBoy

YourTechBoy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:40 PM

Hello, I will be your represanitive for today! So, when your turn on your computer, does the BIOS show up or not?

#3 pljay03

pljay03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:17 AM

Thanks for the reply, buddy. Like I said before, there's absolutely no display on the monitor at all. As far as the monitor is considered, it says nothing is connected to it so I have no real way of knowing if it's even booting up to the operating system or not

#4 YourTechBoy

YourTechBoy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

Well, how about connecting the monitor to (VGA). Most of the time, that works

You won't get friendly expirence with only 1GB for ram. Try about 3GB

#5 pljay03

pljay03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:27 PM

I mentioned in the first post that I tried different combinations of different cables/monitors, and with a different graphics card as well. It doesn't look like it's gonna be an easy fix lol. And nah dude, I had only 512mb RAM and I was happy with that. I mainly use it for programming and basic Web browsing

#6 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

Try replacing the motherboard battery. I have had that happen, (No Video), several times over the years when the motherboard battery was dead.

#7 pljay03

pljay03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

Already tried it homie..

#8 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

OK, first thing to do is make sure the replacement mobo battery isn't dead. Take it out of the mobo, and see if it will light an LED when properly connected. - If not then replace the battery with another new one..

If it does, second thing to do is try hooking up your computer to a friend's monitor and see if you get video then. Also try hooking up a friend's computer to your monitor to see if that gives video. Purpose here being to determine whether the problem is the computer, or the monitor.

Reply on the results, and we'll take it from there.

Edited by JHMcG, 07 June 2013 - 06:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users