Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs For Creating Websites

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 this_is_mak

this_is_mak

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:16 AM

I am looking for a program that will easily let me build a multiple page website and upload it
to the web. Can anyone recommend one? Much thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 03:49 PM

No matter which program you use, there is going to be something of a learning curve. Look in your applications menu and see if you have Microsoft FrontPage. If not, then do a search for "freeware web page editors" or look here:
http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/webpublish/fwwysiwyg.shtml

You are still going to need to know a bit about html though so you can at least understand what it is you are trying to do, so these links may be helpful also.
http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/quicklist.html
http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/

I have a few web projects of my own, as do a few others, so don't be afraid to ask if you need some help. We probably won't be able to give you much help with specific programs, but will be able to answer general questions.

#3 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:47 AM

Hello,

Just to add a bit to what has already been suggested.

WYSIWYG programs (what you see is what you get):

NVU

HTML-Kit

HTML Editors:

Notepad++

Notepad 2

FTP tools:

FileZilla

SmartFTP

In theory the WYSIWYG programs can help you build and maintain a website from scratch, but in the real world this usually isn't the case. As groovicus suggested, it would be very beneficial to at least learn the basics of HTML, because even though the wysiwyg programs can do a lot of the work, there will more than likely be some hand coding corrections that you might want to make to get what you want in your layout.

That is why it may be a good idea to get yourself a good HTML editor. These notepadlike programs are very worthwhile in that they use syntax highlighting to help identify the different markup used in creating a web page. Seeing the code clearly will aid in the learning process.

The last catagory listed you may or may not need. When uploading your pages to the server you plan to have host your site, FTP will most likely be the mode of transfer. Most wysiwyg programs have FTP built-in, on the other hand some don't.

Hope this helps,

nos
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#4 this_is_mak

this_is_mak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:23 AM

thanks for the advice guys...
i appreciate that.
:thumbsup:

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:29 PM

I used Publisher '97 till 8\05 when I gave up the site. Did all I needed. But I did not have CGI, PHP, or any other advanced features. Just informational. I did accept PayPal, but that is no biggie.
Also used LeechFTP and FTP Surfer. Still use FTP Surfer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 03:19 AM

Yea, as a general comment i depends on your level of expertise. I use publisher for pretty simple stuff as i'm not near the same level of expertise as some of the previous posters...

#7 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 03:54 AM

Learning a bit of HTML is good.
Once you know a little you can view source on pages & see how they were made.

Posted Image

Viewing source is a good way to learn HTML.

I have taken to using Windows Notepad to write the code.
I keep the HTML file & associated images & such in a folder in My Documents.
I just use the image file names in the code.
As long as everything is uploaded to the same directory on a server the code still works to display everything.

It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it.
That way you can do all the work on your computer & get it right before uploading it to a site host.

--edit

I have Notepad set as the default HTML editor.
When viewing source the code opens in Notepad.

Edited by medab1, 21 April 2006 - 03:57 AM.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:55 PM

Learning a bit of HTML is good.
Once you know a little you can view source on pages & see how they were made.
Viewing source is a good way to learn HTML.

This is very true!

I have taken to using Windows Notepad to write the code.

This can be somewhat difficult when you're first learning HTML, but it's the only way once you've got the hang of it, though some WYSIWYG editors go a long way towards changing my mind (Dreamweaver, for example).

I find Frontpage to be very difficult to work with. The version I used (I forget what it was) had a very quirky way of coding, especially tables and forms and had no support (that I could find or use) for CSS, Javascript, or any sort of frames.

Amazing Andrew's Book ClubRecommends HTML in an Instant. It's an excellent and concise resource for the learning HTMLer.

#9 Longhorn_and_company

Longhorn_and_company

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:33 PM

Have you tried out Alleycode?

It may assist....unless there is something bad about it that I don't know about.
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users