Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron Laptop won't connect wirelessly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

I have a friend that has a Dell Inspiron laptop that will not connect wirelessly.  I have used an ethernet cable and it connects and works properly.

When I run a check it says that the wireless is not turned on.  After doing some reading on Google I have found that you can press F2 and FN at the same time to turn on wireless.  I've tried that and it doesn't seem to work.

I've checked the router and the wireless is on.  The inernet also shows that it is connected.

I don't see a slider on the side of the case to turn on the wireless (I have a Dell XPS that uses a slider) 

I would sure appreciate any and all other ideas on what I can try.  This Dell Inspiron is running Windows 7.  It has 4 gigs of RAM and a 500 gig hard drive.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Steve Bell

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

Hi,

Have you gone to the Dell support site and confirmed that you have the latest, correct, drivers for the NIC to operate wirelessly?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hi Steve,

I suggest you to update the wireless drivers from the support site as suggested by dicke and let me know the system model number (E.g. Inspiron 15R SE) so that I can check the details and provide appropriate information and assistance.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

I have a friend that has a Dell Inspiron laptop that will not connect wirelessly.

Is this wireless issue recent or has it never connected to wireless access points?

Tried System Restore or Last known good configuration?

Have you tried just pressing F-2 without Fn?

Uninstall the wireless driver via Device Manager and reboot Windows.

Any joy?

Edited by bludgard, 06 June 2013 - 10:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users