Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software to make network management easier...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

Our network is becoming progressively bigger and it is getting difficult to manage/maintain all of the computers.

For example, i spent all this morning setting up a new laptop, installing all the software, ensuring the intranet was setup etc. Is there any way i can make network managent easier and ideally free!

For example, an easy way to roll out updates/software, so for example i can uninstall/install software from one location so that all computers are pretty much the same.

I have used RM based networks which are pretty easy, however this is more for educational environments and unfortunately are not free...

Any similar alternatives, not necessarily as powerful, but just to make life a little easier!

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

If your computers are hooked up to the domain, then you can try using group policy to push out any settings that you want. Also you can take an imaging program like Acronis or ShadowProtect, or one of your liking, and make you an Image of the PC that is fully setup. Put that image on the network, and then have every computer that you setup pull that image from the network and set them up that way.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

I was thinking about booting from the network, however, all of the computers are a little different, some HP, some custom, some Acer....Could i use the same image for all, or would i need to create different images for different computers?

Thanks!

#4 RecklessX

RecklessX

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

You can use Acronis and setup an image on ANY computer, Acronis is not hardware bound.

Using a batch file to install the software and settings could also be a way to resolve this.

Edited by RecklessX, 06 June 2013 - 06:12 PM.

#5 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

Yes using imaging software is pretty much determined on what operating system and stuff you want on each computer and etc. It doesn't care what manufacturer your system is. Just make an image the way you want it and then clone it to the rest of the PC's. Depending on your programming skills, then yes making a .bat file in windows can do this for you as well.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users