Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless internet connection dropping

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

Ok I have a client running a sonicwall tz100w (I have 9 of these in my network all together but only having trouble with one) and they can connect to the wireless network without any trouble but the signal will randomly say no internet connection.  This happens about every 2 to 5 min.  It will work fine for a few min then down for a few and back and forth all the time.  I am starting to run out of ideas on what the heck is causing this.  I have two virtual access points setup, one as a DMZ and one as a secured network.  The DMZ works fine and has a workstation hooked up to it wireless without any trouble and the same client having trouble can hook up to the DMZ without trouble but the DMZ does not have access to printers so she cannot do all her work from there.  There are no other machines that hook up to the secure wifi there on a regular basis so I am not sure if it is a issue with her computer or on the network but I would think if it were a issue on here machine then it would not work at other locations or on the DMZ.  Any ideas??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

Hello hispaladin,

Do the SonicWALL logs show anything during the time the connection drops out? SonicWALL have really good logging functionality.

If you could check the following settings for me.

First expand the Wireless:

Under advanced, check that Transmit power is on Full Power.

Is MAC filtering turned on?

Under IDS, is rogue access point detection enabled?

Under IDS, there is a Scan Now button at the bottom of the page, this should display a list of nearby AP's but may disconnect your clients.  Are there many AP's in the area?

Are both the normal and the DMZ wireless in the same Virtual Access Point Groups or seperate?

Thank you, Masher.

#3 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

Well first off I will tell you that I found that I could clone the settings from a working sonicwall so that is what I did, though I have not been able to test the new settings yet.  However I can answer most of your questions, the only things that the logs show is dropped packets due to policy WLAN>MULTICAST and a repeating authentication log.  transmit power is full, MAC filtering is off, IDS rogue access point detection is off but the scan has been done and there is no access point around (there is no possible access point around as there is no buildings around for over 500 ft) and yes the normal and DMZ are in the same group

#4 kyhillbilly34

kyhillbilly34

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

hispaladin,

have you resolved your issue??....im having the same issue with my nsa250m sonicwall....I just upgraded firmware to SonicOS Enhanced 5.8.1.12-46o...did you also??....

oh and btw I don't think im having the same issue with my iphone....at least I haven't noticed any drop out

#5 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

I have been meaning to check with my clients at the location to see if they have still been having the same issue but other issues have come up that require my attention first.  I will be checking with them soon enough though.  I'll let you know what I find.

#6 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

OK so I checked with the client that was having problems and nothing has changed.  Looks like I am still searching for an answer.

#7 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

Hello hispaladin,

Do the SonicWALL logs show anything during the time the connection drops out? SonicWALL have really good logging functionality.

If you could check the following settings for me.

First expand the Wireless:

Under advanced, check that Transmit power is on Full Power.

Is MAC filtering turned on?

Under IDS, is rogue access point detection enabled?

Under IDS, there is a Scan Now button at the bottom of the page, this should display a list of nearby AP's but may disconnect your clients.  Are there many AP's in the area?

Are both the normal and the DMZ wireless in the same Virtual Access Point Groups or seperate?

Thank you, Masher.

Masher,

I just ran the IDS scan and found 2 access points but they have very poor signal and come and go.  They are running on channel 11 and I am running on channel 2.  Could they still be causing me issues?

#8 kyhillbilly34

kyhillbilly34

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

at my site i have 3 sonicpoint g boxes all three have different SSID's. One has MAC filtering only turned on and its working good, no dropouts. The other two are WPA/PSK2 password protected and they are droping out....I can connect and run a ping back to the sonicwall and its good for about 10min then it starts droping packets then its timeout for about 5 min then it might start working again. When i check the log im getting the same error for that particular ip address that hispaladin is getting "dropped packets due to policy WLAN>MULTICAST"....

#9 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

Masher,

I just ran the IDS scan and found 2 access points but they have very poor signal and come and go.  They are running on channel 11 and I am running on channel 2.  Could they still be causing me issues?

Hello,

I've been unable to answer recently as I've been doing some project work at work.  I'm about to put yet another SonicWALL TZ100W in at one of my sites next week so I may be able to find something then else then.

Shouldn't have an issue with those access points.

You say you have 9 aTZ100's, are they using the same firmware version as the one that is having trouble?

What wireless network card is installed in the laptop? It may be that the wireless card has issues with compatibility.

Is the wireless security set to WPA2 on both the DMZ zone and the normal wireless zone or are they using different authentication methods?

Could you try changing from WPA2-PSK to open for a short period of time and see if the disconnects still happen?

Thank you, Masher.

#10 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

The firmware is all the same 5.8.1.12 (the latest I could get from sonicwall), I am running WPA2 on both and the user has started having trouble with both zones now, DMZ and secure connections.  I will have to look into what wireless card she is using (which will be a pain as she is rarely in the main office and when she is not for long).  Thanks for the help with this Masher.

#11 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

You are more than welcome, I only hope that I can you help find the answer you are looking for.

Did you try the setting the security to open access for an hour? I know this is a security risk but if your building is 500ft away from any other buildings, is anyone going to be around to take advantage of the open access?

If you are uncomfortable doing this, try enabling MAC address filtering for the hour.

Another thing I've come across which I've only recently remember while reviewing some notes for my last install. If you go into the firewall policy settings, open up all the firewall rules for zones LAN -> WLAN and from WLAN -> LAN. Under the advanced tab, increase the lenght of time before the TCP connections time out.  If you set this to a higher number on all the firewall rules, does this stop the disconnections happening so frequently?

I know your using VPN's so perhaps you will have to do the same for the VPN -> WLAN and WLAN -> VPN.

Let me know how this turns out.

Thank you, Masher.

#12 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

Current TPC connection timeout is 15 minutes, should I set it higher than that?  UDP is set at 30 seconds but even that seems fairly high.  Would you suggest setting them higher than that or is that good enough?

Edit: I am going to have the client give me a call when she is on site so I can shut down the security for a bit and see if that takes care of the issue, just don't want to shut off security when there is no one there to test if it will work.

Edited by hispaladin, 17 June 2013 - 08:23 AM.

#13 kyhillbilly34

kyhillbilly34

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

in the latest firmware update i noticed a new group in address objects section "All Authorized Access Points"....is your sonicpoints listed in this section??...mine wasnt and when i added them i havent had anyone call me telling me they cant get connected to the wireless..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users