Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading from Vista to Win 7

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 sumguy#1

sumguy#1

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

Greetings:

I want to upgrade from Vista 32 bit to Win 7/64 bit. I haven't purchased the OS yet, as there are various versions and want to purchase the correct one.

I need a new disk as my current one is failing. I've been told/read that I could clean install the upgrade version of Win 7/64 bit.

But I read a MS article yesterday saying you can't use the Win 7 upgrade version on a empty disk that had no prior Windows OS on it. In my case I will be installing a new OS on a new/empty HDD. So based on that MS article, it appears I can't use the upgrade version of Win 7 on my new disk. Agree/disagree?

So I am presuming at this point I should be purchasing a Win 7/64 bit OS OEM version for my situation. Yes/No?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Options: I have the option of downloading a ISO image of Win 7/64 bit OS. And doing the install with a USB flash drive. Online prices go from $200 for Win 7 Pro, others have the same OEM CD for $130. I see other sites selling the same OS branded OEM, for around $82. Any opinions/suggestions here welcomed.

I already downloaded the MS ISO/USB tool. I am in the process of trying to download the Win Pro 7/64 bit ISO [X17-59186], but it is taking way too long to download, as it is hanging at 12%, with 5 hours to go? I am concerned that if it takes this long to download, I should be leery of using this download? If it goes nowhere in the next hour or so, I will cancel the download. Any suggestions here are welcomed.

I also read that a normal USB flash drive is too slow for doing the ISO/USB install. I forgot where that article was or the type of USB drive he was referring to, but the author suggested a specific type of USB drive to do the ISO install faster. Anyone know what USB drive he might have been referring to?

I also presume that if I purchased a Win 7 OS disc from one of the online stores. I could apply the product key to validate the ISO/USB install and use the supplied OS disk as a backup.

Any opinions or comments welcomed.

Thanks, sumguy#1

Edited by hamluis, 09 June 2013 - 03:57 PM.
Moved from System Building to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

You most certainly can use the WIN7 upgrade disk to do a clean install.  In your case, I would rest easy as you are technically upgrading Vista.

Not sure of the legality of laying out the link with the instructions in an open forum.  Don't want the forum to get into trouble.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

Thanks.

#4 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

Just FYI,

Important!:

Downloading an ISO from the internet is illegal, and we cannot help you further in that case. If that's where you're going to continue, then I will close this thread (and your other) due to our policies. See here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/382841/recommending-isos-of-windows-recovery-discs-or-pre-made-isos-of-winpebartpe-discs-is-not-allowed/

We at BC will continue to help you in any other (legal) way.

bloopie

#5 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

Ronnie Vernon replied on
  •  
MVP Community Moderator Community Star

Hi Willem

Digital River is an legitimate fulfillment company that contracts with Microsoft to handle the official processing and downloads for special offers, such as the discounted academic software to students.

Digital River is a leading provider of global e-commerce solutions.: http://corporate.digitalriver.com/store/digriv/Corp/sectionName.company/subSectionName.aboutUs/page.aboutUs

Downloads of Windows 7 and other Microsoft software have been available from those download links since it was first released in 2009.

Microsoft does not have any published stance about those download links, but if they had any problems, those links would have been taken down a long time ago.

Microsoft Store Online - Windows 7 Professional Upgrade:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/productID.216644200

© 2011 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Regards

#6 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

After doing much online research it appears to me that Digital River [DR] has a legal agreement with Microsoft to distribute the various MS ISO's.

Are you implying that downloading an ISO from MSDN is illegal? Or doing so through HeiDoc.net is illegal?

The DR ISO even if installed correctly is only good for 30 days before you have to purchase a key to activate it. If you don't purchase a key, it deactivates automatically. I see many people calling MS to successfully activate their DR ISO download. I don't think it matters to MS where you get the product from as long as you pay them for a key to activate it.

At MSDN you are redirected straight to MS to purchase the key at a retail price, before downloading the ISO.

I read the BC link you provided, but my reading of same suggests there is no problem with purchasing an MS OS ISO for your own personal use. I don't intend to go into selling ISO's, I just want a OS.

So not sure why you think it is illegal to download a ISO from these sources?

sumguy#1

#7 sumguy#1

sumguy#1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

So if I download an ISO from Microsoft your telling me its illegal?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

If you can convince...anyone...that you know of a Microsoft.com download site...that produces a Win 7 .iso...I will lobby for your efforts to abide by forum rules.

The Digital River links are NOT Microsoft links which are uncompromised and have been compromised for years now.  Digital River is one of many designated agents for Microsfot.  In this case, they were/are the designated agent for Student downloads of Win 7 which were available at an earlier time.  Those links were compromised years ago...that does nothing to change the nature of anyone downloading from such links...no matter what the website is.

If Microsoft com authorizes free downloads of Win 7 (or any other O/S) in the same manner that we all download other programs...or if there is a direct link to the Microsoft Store which reflects free downloads...I then recant and say those downloads would be legal.

Unless that happens....the existing policy at BC regarding DR downloads...remains in effect.  Pure and simple.

This policy statement, from the owner of this site, was made back in the era when XP was the primary O/S and everyone had downloads of XP Recovery Console disks available to the public.  Although the Digita Rivers fiasco has eclipsed any concerns about XP at this time...the same basic principles apply, regardless of Windows O/S.

Recommending ISOs of Windows Recovery Discs or pre-made ISOs of WinPE-BartPE - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic382841.html

On that note...you have strayed far from the stated subject matter of your topic...and some of us have tried to repond both to your topic and what seems to have become your main concern.  It seems that this discussion can go no farther...with that in mind, this topic is now closed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users