Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Here, Compaq System Restore Lockup!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oilspot

oilspot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:03 PM

This is my first post, and i apolagize for showing up in need!
I've got a compaq that's probably two years old. Running windows xp home.
I just attempted to do a system restore and it all went smooth, till now.
I'm down to the last screen that reads
"Thank you, Congratulations, your're ready to go!" At this point I should be able to hit the finish button and be up and rolling. We'll when I hit the finish button it never finishes, it just sits with the hourglass thingy running"
I gave it thirty minutes just to make sure I wasn't being impatient. The computer in non responsive. I resorted to unplugging the computer and tried starting in safe mode. That just told me that my installation wasn't complete and took me to the same congratulations page.
Any tips on how to get through this???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:14 AM

Oilspot: I had a similar issue with a Compaq computer that I had added hardware to(SCSI card) after I purchased....it would not complete the system restore. I had to remove the additional hardware, and put the computer back to its original hardware configuration. Not sure if that is your issue here.

Here's some troubleshooting steps from Compaq.

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Troubleshooting System Recovery Problems in Windows XP

Hope that helps.
JC

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:10 PM

Hi Oilspot: Not knowing about your system other than it is a Compaq and has Windows XP Home on it makes it just a bit difficult. What Joshuacat says is true about extra hardware and we know not what you have. We are not trying to be nosey but do need some info like Processor, Ram etc. especially if you have Service Pack 2 installed. Are you actually doing a full system re-install or recovery or are you trying to do a Repair? These are two different things. Please send us more info so we can help you better since it is almost impossible to troubleshoot a computer that we can not see we depend on this more info.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:09 PM

Read and follow the instructions on the link Joshuacat provided.

#5 oilspot

oilspot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:48 AM

Well here's what ended up happening.
The computer would not boot up windows. I tried safe mode and a couple different things. I ended up doing the full "destructive" restore.
So I've started fresh. Actually I think it's one of the best things I've ever done for the computer. Way less clutter, runs way faster, Hell it feels like a new computer.
Sorry I can't be of any help with technically what happened or why... Just happy with the results!!!

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:56 AM

Just happy with the results!!!

Good news!

Sometimes it is just better to scrub the computer and start over!

Do you currently have Service Pack 2 installed (SP2)? Start > right click on My Computer > Properties If not, I suggest you get it and all other updates immediately. On high speed connection you can download all of it. Start > All Programs > Windows Update Keep going back to that site until you have no more critical updates to get.

Also, in my experience, SP2 installs much better from a disk than it does from a download. You can order a disk HERE. This, of course, would especially be the preferred course of action for someone with a slow internet connection as it is a huge download. Then, go to the update site and get the rest of the critical updates.

You will have best results if you fully update Windows BEFORE surfing, installing other programs, or reinstalling data.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users