Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changed Isp's; Old One Still Haunting Me; Need Exorcist

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jeannette

jeannette

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:37 PM

I changed internet servers (dialup to dialup), cancelled and uninstalled the old one. It still has control of Internet Explorer 6.0 and won't open web sites. Have tried: internet options-communications setup, which stalled and wouldn't move. The new server shows as the default on everything else. Can someone help me get rid of this ghost? I would be very grateful!

Jeannette

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:06 PM

I'm not sure how you changed ISP's. Usually, there are no settings from one ISP to another that would affect IE. It might help to know what your old ISP was. Did they send you a disk to set up your ISP? Did you remove the old dial-up networking from My Computer and create a new one? Are you using Outlook and did you get your email working?

#3 jeannette

jeannette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for your reply and sorry about the lack of information. I'd been with AOL for years, but subscribed to Bellsouth when they made me a great offer. I downloaded it from a cd, did not change dialup networks in My Computer. Bellsouth just took it over along with IE, which still says "presented by Bellsouth" and has their toolbar.

Outlook came with Bellsouth, but I rarely used it. I finally cancelled the Bellsouth account, uninstalled it and went back to using AOL, which is now the default everywhere but in IE. I seem to created a mess for myself and would love to get out of it.

Hope this gives you what you need. Thanks again.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 03:37 PM

So, did you actually uninstall AOL before putting Bellsouth in? If not, and you're still using the old version you had, Bellsouth has probably overridden something.

First, check to see if there is an entry in Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs for Bellsouth. If not:

Here's an article involving removing Bellsouth's internet security.

Uninstall Bellsouth Accelerator

I would try to get everything Bellsouth off the computer first. Then, I'd probably uninstall and re-install AOL. (That is, assuming I'd ever purposely install AOL on a computer - I consider it to be a virus that plops itself all over your computer and won't clean up after itself. But that's just me.)

There are a number of ways to work with the Bellsouth Toolbar and what it says in IE. Javacool's Spyware Blaster (Not to be confused with a bad program with the same name) has an option to change the wording in the Explorer window. The toolbar can probably be turned off by going up to View -> toolbars and clicking on the Bellsouth one. Sometimes, companies like Earthlink put in a toolbar, and then cleverly leave a blank space rather than an actual name so you won't be likely to remove it, but there'd be a checkmark next to a blank space which would give it away.

The toolbar won't hurt anything, but it may use some resources when running.

Since I don't know what Bellsouth does to your IE, I'm not sure what the next step would be. I don't know if they use proxies or redirects, and it may be necessary to post a Hijack This log in the Hijack forum, specifically stating that you want to get rid of Bellsouth's infection.

#5 jeannette

jeannette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:11 PM

Herk, you've given me a ton of information to work with. Thank you. I kept aol while checking out bellsouth, and it did override everything.

By the way, I'm immune to aol putdowns having heard most of them. One of the perks of getting a little age on you is doing what makes you comfortable and getting away with it - as long as you keep your sense of humor.

Please come back the next time I have a problem! Will let you know if your remedies work.

Jeannette

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users