Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Getting 3 Routers To Comunicate

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_slehmann36_*

Guest_slehmann36_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

Hi, 

I am trying to set up a network that involves 2 client routers to a main modem/router (modem router = router 1, client routers = routers 2 and 3). i want to have ethernet cables connecting routers 1 to 2 and 1 to 3.

I am having huge problems setting this up. I'm not too familiar with the correct terminology but at first i was trying to put router 1 into bridging mode. then i tried turning off dhcp on routers 2 and 3, making sure all the routers where on a different IP address (i.e. router 1 on 192.168.1.1, router 2 on 192.168.1.50 and router 3 on 192.168.1.100)

Can someone provide me with a walkthrough or steps on how to complete the setup. 

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks

Simon Lehmann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masher92

masher92

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

Hi Simon,

Can I start by asking what it is you are trying to achive by setting the routers up this way?

The make and model of each router may be helpful.

Thank you, Masher.

#3 Guest_slehmann36_*

Guest_slehmann36_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

Yes sure, So router 1 is the modem router sitting in the spare room out of the way which is connected via ethernet to the a wireless router (router 2) in my bedroom (plugged into the WAN port of router 2). Router 2 is connected via ethernet to a network printer, file server, raspberry pi web server and wirelessly to me macbook, iPad and iPhone. that works fine BUT i am setting up another IT workbench in yet another spare room on the other side of the room with the modem/router (router 2). So i want to put a third router at that new desk so i can connect to the internet AND my file server at the desk. this will be router 3. i have already put conduit through the walls for ethernet cables so there is no issue with physical connectivity. Just how to you make all the routers act like switches, making one large LAN?

Thanks for your reply

#4 RecklessX

RecklessX

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:28 AM

Take the routers except router 1 and turn off DHCP, also make sure you connect ALL the cables in the LAN port.

TA DA

X

#5 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

(plugged into the WAN port of router 2).

Make sure that the second router is hooked up by lan connection and not the wan connection. Also make sure that both the routers are on the same subnet and default gateway as your main router.

Once each one is set to an address that you know won't interfere with other devices (i.e. make sure it's out of the main router's DHCP range and not the same as any other static IP in use on your network), you can plug them all together using the normal LAN ports.

To use them as multiple access points, just make sure they are all set to broadcast the same SSID (wireless network name) and have the same security type and password. This way your wireless devices will jump between them automatically and you will experience a seamless connection.

Edited by chrisd87, 06 June 2013 - 07:50 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users