Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB 2.0 not working right!

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 jbrdbr111

jbrdbr111

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

Ok so I've been banging my head on my desk for about 5+ hours now with no resolve.

My usb 2.0 is not working right, all devices (printer, mouse, router) are all working at usb 1.1 capacity.

My ports were working correctly a few months back, I had no use for 2.0 till recent with a work at home job that requires 2.0 or higher to work with this router for transfers etc.

I checked and saw an article about a windows update that (supposedly) fixes this issue but after uninstalling and re-installing it, the issue persists.

I've tried deleting the infcache.1 file, I tried to uninstall all usb drivers via device manager but after I got to the mouse/keyboard (both usb of course) I couldn't go further without stopping my inputs. But had gotten most of it and rebooted with NO resolve.

sfc /scannow Tried that and it scanned for like 10 mins and said it found no errors, I've uninstalled and re-installed the drivers via device manager 4-5x now and still nothing, What am I missing here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jbrdbr111

jbrdbr111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2 Board, Windows 7 Ultimate, it's self built basically and everything has worked for years just fine, bummed the 2.0 isn't working now though and nothing hardware wise has changed. 

#4 jbrdbr111

jbrdbr111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

Update: Decided to just format and re-install Windows from scratch, still NO luck, usb 2.0 is not showing up, wth am I missing?

#5 jbrdbr111

jbrdbr111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:19 AM

Anyone?  :killcomp:

#6 ComputerTechGuy

ComputerTechGuy

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:00 AM

a bit extreme isn't it, if you lob your computer like that what do you expect  :lol:  

you probably did not need the reinstall to be fair, from what I can gather from the information I have is that the USB ports are on board ports that are not working and most of them are USB 2.0 capacity?

correct me if I am wrong but in order the narrow the problem down I need some information off you then I can tell you what to so next the information is as follows;

• have you installed windows 7 from an update from windows XP
  • did the problem happen after the update
  • what does event viewer information have
  • are the devices recognized in device manager
  • have you checked you pc for any loose connections to ports 
  • does device manager have any yellow warnings in the universal Bus Controllers 
  • what is the capacity for all the USB Ports
  • have you brought a 4 USB PCI card to test with and see if the motherboard recognizes the USB ports  
  • Checked the Registry for disabled ports after malware
  • what happens when you add the device can you see it or does it just disappear and reappear continuously  

View this Link Here: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-enable-usb-windowunlock-pen-drive-at-office-or-school-computer

it will give you some guide to enabling and disabling ports that may of happened with a registry change that you may not of done but a software or hardware may have caused the problem.

let us know I will get to the bottom of the problem for you.

Kind Regards

ComputerTechGuy    

#7 jbrdbr111

jbrdbr111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:22 AM

a bit extreme isn't it, if you lob your computer like that what do you expect  :lol:  

you probably did not need the reinstall to be fair, from what I can gather from the information I have is that the USB ports are on board ports that are not working and most of them are USB 2.0 capacity?

correct me if I am wrong but in order the narrow the problem down I need some information off you then I can tell you what to so next the information is as follows;

• have you installed windows 7 from an update from windows XP
  • did the problem happen after the update
  • what does event viewer information have
  • are the devices recognized in device manager
  • have you checked you pc for any loose connections to ports 
  • does device manager have any yellow warnings in the universal Bus Controllers 
  • what is the capacity for all the USB Ports
  • have you brought a 4 USB PCI card to test with and see if the motherboard recognizes the USB ports  
  • Checked the Registry for disabled ports after malware
  • what happens when you add the device can you see it or does it just disappear and reappear continuously  

View this Link Here: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-enable-usb-windowunlock-pen-drive-at-office-or-school-computer

it will give you some guide to enabling and disabling ports that may of happened with a registry change that you may not of done but a software or hardware may have caused the problem.

let us know I will get to the bottom of the problem for you.

Kind Regards

ComputerTechGuy    

I did a fresh install from a windows 7 Ultimate disk.

The problem existed right after fresh install before I tried the update, and then after update no change.

The devices show up, there's no issues in device manager and when checking properties it says device is working correctly but it's only working at a 1.1 speed and not 2.0 and all 6 hubs on my system are full usb 2.0 (I've tried every port too )

I think it said up to 27 devices connected via usb, also the power is 500ma I believe for each port 

Don't currently have a pci card to test, all ports are on mainboard

How do I check the registry? (I mean I know regedit but like where do I look and how do I set it?)

I think that was all your questions, thanks for trying to help me!

Edited by jbrdbr111, 06 June 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

Well...I would eliminate the hubs...and test the USB ports on the system by connecting a few devices directly.

Are these powered hubs you have?

Louis

#9 jbrdbr111

jbrdbr111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

Well...I would eliminate the hubs...and test the USB ports on the system by connecting a few devices directly.

Are these powered hubs you have?

Louis

That's all I have is on board

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

Sorry...when I hear "USB hub", I think of an external device.  When I hear "USB port", I think of onboard motherboard support.

From your board specs:  Integrated in nVidia GeForce 7100/nForce 630i chipset, up to 10 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (6on back, 4 via USB brackets connected to internal USB headers.

Go into Device Manager...scroll down to Universal Serial Bus...click the plus-sign in front of that.

Do not concern yourself with "devices" or "hubs"...you are only interested in any of the now-revealed detail items for USB Controllers...which have the word "controller" as part of the description.

One at a time...double-click on each such item, click the Driver tab, then click Uninstall.  Once you have done that for each item I have described...reboot the system.  The controllers automatically reinstall at boot.

See if that changes anything.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 June 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#11 jbrdbr111

jbrdbr111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

Sorry...when I hear "USB hub", I think of an external device.  When I hear "USB port", I think of onboard motherboard support.

From your board specs:  Integrated in nVidia GeForce 7100/nForce 630i chipset, up to 10 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (6on back, 4 via USB brackets connected to internal USB headers.

Go into Device Manager...scroll down to Universal Serial Bus...click the plus-sign in front of that.

Do not concern yourself with "devices" or "hubs"...you are only interested in any of the now-revealed detail items for USB Controllers...which have the word "controller" as part of the description.

One at a time...double-click on each such item, click the Driver tab, then click Uninstall.  Once you have done that for each item I have described...reboot the system.  The controllers automatically reinstall at boot.

See if that changes anything.

Louis

Just rebooted and it just reinstalled the same drivers, nothing changed sadly :(

#12 ComputerTechGuy

ComputerTechGuy

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:54 AM

These USB devices you are using, are they 1.1 speed and that is why they run at 1.1 have you actually tested this with something that states USB2 or that you know for sure is a USB2 device? 

please list the devices that are currently in USB ports I.e., Pen drive, External Drive etc.. what you want to run a USB2,

Kind Regards

ComputerTechGuy

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:00 AM

Did you try checking the USB 1.0 or 2.0 ports are needed to be enabled by the BIOS utility section?

Tekken

#14 jbrdbr111

jbrdbr111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:12 AM

These USB devices you are using, are they 1.1 speed and that is why they run at 1.1 have you actually tested this with something that states USB2 or that you know for sure is a USB2 device? 

please list the devices that are currently in USB ports I.e., Pen drive, External Drive etc.. what you want to run a USB2,

Kind Regards

ComputerTechGuy

a few that I'm trying to use that are 2.0 are 

Logitech c910 Webcam

WD My Passport 1TB external drive rated at usb 2.0 and 3.0

Did you try checking the USB 1.0 or 2.0 ports are needed to be enabled by the BIOS utility section?

Yes 2.0 is enabled in bios

#15 jbrdbr111

jbrdbr111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:35 AM

Still no solutions  :(  :(

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users