Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Permanent Files?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TechnicalDifficulty

TechnicalDifficulty

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:22 AM

Hello,

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate and I've heard a number of times that any video file you've ever watched on your computer remains permanently stored somewhere on your computer even if you never saved it. Is this true? And if so, is there any way to manually access this permanent storage place so that I can copy or view a file I watched months ago? Because the closest I can find to this is the "Temp" and "Temporary Files" folders, but I clean those out every now and then because I was told it helps protect against malware. I uploaded a video awhile back that I need now, but the site I uploaded it to no longer exists. But I used to watch the file on my computer so I really need to retrieve it if that's possible.

Does anyone know about this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:19 AM

Some Flash videos are both viewable and downloadable. To understand more of the browser function and sites, see Browsing history, What is a cookie?, When and how to clear cookies?.

Edited by jhayz, 05 June 2013 - 04:19 AM.

Tekken

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

With the advice from jhays you may also try this -

I searched this borrowed XP based computer for photos, as the owner gave it to me and asked me to find old pictures. After I installed Recuva Free, I was surprised at the images I found, that the owner could not find due to someone deleting many of them.

You may also find other embedded items like Videos with the same program.

Thank You -

#4 TechnicalDifficulty

TechnicalDifficulty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:15 AM

With the advice from jhays you may also try this -

I searched this borrowed XP based computer for photos, as the owner gave it to me and asked me to find old pictures. After I installed Recuva Free, I was surprised at the images I found, that the owner could not find due to someone deleting many of them.

You may also find other embedded items like Videos with the same program.

I'll give that program a look. Thanks!

#5 TechnicalDifficulty

TechnicalDifficulty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:22 AM

OK, I tried Recuva and it didn't seem to find any video files that I didn't directly download onto my computer. I didn't see any files of videos I just watched on the computer without downloading it.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:43 AM

<<... I've heard a number of times that any video file you've ever watched on your computer remains permanently stored somewhere on your computer even if you never saved...>>

Well...I'd wonder about the source of such an allegation :).

The nature of files does not lend credence to that.

Any file accessed on the Internet...may remain in storage as a temporary Internet file...until the user dumps her/his cache.  Since dumping such files is a basic part of routine system maintenance...such temporary files should be routinely removed and can easily be removed at any time by a user desiring to do so.

How to Clear Your Browser's Cache (with screenshots) - wikiHow - http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache

All other files...stored on the hard drive...remain accessible until they are overwritten...by anyone of various methods.  Thus, some files which have been deleted or erased by format...may be able to be recovered by use of software designed to attempt reclamation...or by special techniques which are quite expensive.

But...even these potentially recoverable files can be erased by use of software or techniques which involve writing over everything on a hard drive.

So...in reality, nothing remains forever on a hard drive.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 June 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:10 AM

that I didn't directly download onto my computer.

Just to add also, if the videos are coming from websites known as flash videos, they would not be saved unless downloaded or saved in your hard drive provided they are set and allowed by the site owner.

Tekken

#8 TechnicalDifficulty

TechnicalDifficulty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:17 AM

Damn. I guess I'm out of luck then. That's....disappointing.

Well, thank you for the help anyway guys.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

No worries. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#10 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

Did you check your user profile video folder?

c:\users\<username>\videos

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#11 TechnicalDifficulty

TechnicalDifficulty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

Did you check your user profile video folder?

c:\users\<username>\videos

No luck.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

I uploaded a video awhile back that I need now, but the site I uploaded it to no longer exists.

Somehow I didn't see this part. :) However, is the source video saved on your computer or by external?

Tekken

#13 TechnicalDifficulty

TechnicalDifficulty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:44 AM

Somehow I didn't see this part. :) However, is the source video saved on your computer or by external?

No. I had the video on another computer and uploaded it online to a website. On my computer I have now, I've never saved or downloaded the video. I've only watched it on the website. 

#14 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:39 AM

I've heard a number of times that any video file you've ever watched on your computer remains permanently stored somewhere on your computer even if you never saved it.

Not true. This must be the cyberspace version of an old wives tale or an urban myth. Louis already told you this but I guess you don't believe him. On the other hand, I find it hard to believe that any video clip, no matter what it is, is only on one site and then that one site goes kaput. That just seems odd. tracking it down elsewhere would seem more productive than chasing an urban myth.

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

'Every time you watch RedTube god kills a kitten' type myth...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users