Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First time build help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gtp1994

Gtp1994

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

Need some help on my first build please.
Specs:
i5-3330 quad
Asus h61M-A motherboard
Rosewill rd700 psu
Msi gtx 650 gpu
Corsair 8gb xms3 ddr3 ram
WD 1tb HD
Coolermaster Haf 912 case

I have connected everything to the best of my ability. Nothing will turn on. I disconnected the psu and i did the paperclip test and the psu is working. When connected and powered, the motherboard led will light up. The front power button led will not light nor will the fans turn on. Thats as far as i have gotten. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:12 AM

What exactly is the paperclip test?  Did you remember to connect the case buttons/LED's to the correct motherboard pins?

3939.png

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

Double ck connections.  Make sure you have the 4pin by the CPU as well as the 24 pin connector hooked up.  Verify you have the power switch on the correct pins.  Short the pwr pins on the mobo momentarily with a screwdriver (#2 Phillips grooves right between the pins).  All you need to post is CPU, memory, and video, a keyboard helps.  If that doesn't work, disconnect all of your hard drives and optical drives from the power supply and the motherboard.  Retest.

Assuming you are trying to post with your GTX 650, unplug it and hook monitor up to your onboard video and see if anything posts.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Gtp1994

Gtp1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

well the problem was the mobo BIOS was not ivy bridge supported(i5-3330) my options were to swap processors for a sandy bridge then attempt to reflash bios, send mobo to ASUS for reflash, or upgrade mobo.  I will be upgrading mobo and will repost with results. 

thanks to all for the help so far!

#5 Gtp1994

Gtp1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:23 AM

Well that was not the solution. I swapped the ASUS h61 for a ASrock H77M. Still not kick off. With everything connected there is no activity of any kind. I've rechecked the connections, I made sure the 24 pin power and the 8 pin ATX power were pluuged in. I have to be doing something wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users