Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Adobe Photoshop Programs work similar to their CS line products?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

A couple years ago, I downloaded a free trial copy of Adobe's Photoshop CS5 and created some real nice Ale, IPA, Stout labels for personal home brewing bottles to give out to friends and family.  I created enough labels to last more than I will ever need.  I just recently downloaded and am playing with the 30 day trial version of CS6. Wow!, That is a really nice program. I was considering purchasing it when I discovered that these programs are several hundreds of dollars.  I am not that fanatical about photoshopping at a commercial and/or professional level by any means.  But, I would like to do some tinkering with layering and modifying images.

So, my inquiry is this.  What other Adobe Photoshop program would any of you folks recommend in the $100 range? I just need a nice program so that I can still view my .psd files (current backed up labels), and if I get an urge to create more labels, or to simply to enhance and/or modify images for fun.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Edited by hYlAnDeR~TFC, 04 June 2013 - 07:22 PM.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~
[OF/FA] Orion Faction-Retired
Game Squad Fleet Admiral~Retired

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

I have Photoshop CS2,and also Paint Shop Pro X4 ultimate,These programs are very similar in operation.

I actually prefer Paint Shop Pro, and it is available on sale now at this link.

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4900069

#3 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

How much does the Photoshop CS2 costs?  And, will it be able to view the saved .PSD files that I created while using the free version of Photoshop CS5 from a couple years ago?

Will Paintshop Pro X5 Ultimate allow me to view my .PSD files and/or edit them if needed?  The price on that program seems to be very reasonable - $59.99.

Thanks for your help!

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

A couple years ago, I downloaded a free trial copy of Adobe's Photoshop CS5 and created some real nice Ale, IPA, Stout labels for personal home brewing bottles to give out to friends and family.  I created enough labels to last more than I will ever need.  I just recently downloaded and am playing with the 30 day trial version of CS6. Wow!, That is a really nice program. I was considering purchasing it when I discovered that these programs are several hundreds of dollars.  I am not that fanatical about photoshopping at a commercial and/or professional level by any means.  But, I would like to do some tinkering with layering and modifying images.

So, my inquiry is this.  What other Adobe Photoshop program would any of you folks recommend in the $100 range? I just need a nice program so that I can still view my .psd files (current backed up labels), and if I get an urge to create more labels, or to simply to enhance and/or modify images for fun.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Photoshop Elements.

It appears that it can open PSD files including layers as long they are just "plain old" layers:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4451508

You can get Photoshop Elements for less than $100.

You can also try Gimp (free). It appears that there is a plug-in that provides some limited functionality with PSD files. Since it is free, you can try it and see if it will do what you need. Just make sure you "muck around" with a copy of one of your PSD files when you try (i.e. make a backup of the files before messing with them).

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

How much does the Photoshop CS2 costs?  And, will it be able to view the saved .PSD files that I created while using the free version of Photoshop CS5 from a couple years ago?

Photoshop CS2 is no longer sold new. You might be able to buy it used from eBay. I don't know if it will open up PSD files from a newer version of Photoshop...my gut says no, but my gut can be (and has been) wrong.

Will Paintshop Pro X5 Ultimate allow me to view my .PSD files and/or edit them if needed?  The price on that program seems to be very reasonable - $59.99.

Thanks for your help!

According to the Corel website, they do list compatibility with PSD files...but I have no clue how well that will work. I don't know how "guarded" Adobe is with the PSD file format. Since it is a proprietary format, they might be rather guarded with it. Even if they are guarded with it, it would be possible for folks to "backward engineer" it to allow their programs to open it...but any changes Adobe might make might "break" that compatibility. For example, Autodesk had their proprietary DWG format for AutoCAD. Other CAD programs will read/edit DWG files, but usually have trouble with new versions until those other CAD programs have "figured out" the new version of the DWG format and updated their programs for it.

So, you could try the "trial" version of PSP.

#6 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

hYIAnDeR~TFC

My Photoshop CS2 is an older program, and I do not know if it is available any longer.

Paint Shop Pro X5 Ultimate is a VERY full featured "Professional" photo editing program.

And yes, it is a "steal" at $59.00.

If you go to the link I posted earlier, you can read up on it's features and specs.

Here is a list of the files it supports, that I got from that link.

Import Formats Supported

AI, BMP, CAL, CALS, CGM, CLP, CMX, CT, CUR, CUT, DCX, DIB, DRW, EMF, EPS, GIF, HDP, HGL, HPG, IFF, IMG, J2C, J2K, JIF, JP2, JPC, JPE, JPEG, JPG, JPS, JPX, MAC, MPO, MRW, MSP, PBM, PCD, PCT, PCX, PDF, PGL, PGM, PIC, PICT, PNG, PNS, PPM, PS, PSD, PSP (PSP image files), RAS, RAW, RIF, RLE, SCT, SVG, SVGZ, TGA, TIF, UFO, WBM, WBMP, WDP, WEBP, WMF, WPG
    Includes RAW file support from over 300 camera models with the following extensions: 3FR, ARW, CR2, CRW, DCR, DNG, ERF, K25, KDC, MEF, MOS, NEF, NRW, ORF, PEF, RAF, RW2, SR2, SRF, X3F
    Video input format support: MPEG-1, WMV (Windows Media® Video), MOV (QuickTime® required) and AVI (motion JPEG)

Export Formats Supported

BMP, CAL, CALS, CLP, CUT, DCX, DIB, EMF, EPS, AI, PS, GIF, HDP, WDP, IFF, IMG, JP2, J2C, J2K, JPC, JPX, JPG, JIF, JPE, JPEG, MAC, MSP, PBM, PCX, PGM, PIC, PPM, PNG, PSD, PSP (PSP IMAGE FILES), RAS, RAW, RIF, RIFF, RLE, SCT, CT, JPS, PNS, TGA, TIF, TIFF, WBMP, WBM, WEBP, WMF

If you try Paint Shop Pro X5 Ultimate, I do not think you will be disapointed.

PS. I also use Corel Video StudioX4 Pro, and it is another great program.

Edited by GB2064, 06 June 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#7 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

Wow!

Excellent advice and suggestions everyone.  Thank you all so much for your help. 

I think I am going to go with the PSP X5 Pro Ultimate.  Since I have most, if not all, of the various images backed up that I used to create my multilayer images with the trial version of CS5, if I am unable to view my saved multilayer files created in CS5, I can always remake them using PSP X5, WOOT!

The saved files I used are really nothing that special, But, I am not sure if the layers you are referring to are considered, "plain old layers."  The saved image layers that I created using the free version of CS5 consist of:

Layer 1 - Back ground image.

Layer 2 - simple image

Layer 3 - simple image

Layer 4 - Text

Layer 5 - etc.

So, I have about 70 (Ale, Pale Ale, Copper Ale, Stout, IPA, Summer Ale,  Bock, etc. etc.) custom labels that I created on CS5.  Then, I have them backed up on a zip / flash drive, almost 8 GB.  Then, I just go to Kinko's Fed Ex to laser print on 10x14 size heavy stock paper.  Then, I come home, carefully cut them out, use milk as an adhesive and place them on clean 22oz brown bottles.

By the way, If possible, I can still keep these backed up separately as PSD files, but can I also convert a few to the X5 default program format too? Or, in other words, If PSP X5 Pro is unable to view them due to the layers being "not plain old layers", can I just go ahead and have the converted so that PSP X5 Pro can view them?

If you would like, I can post an image of one of my labels for your viewing if you like?  That way maybe you can check to see if it is viewable on your PSP or not.

Thanks again.

Edited by hYlAnDeR~TFC, 08 June 2013 - 01:12 PM.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#8 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

Loving this program, "Paint Shop Pro X5"

thanks again for your folks help!

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#9 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:48 AM

I use PSP X4, I'm glad it's working for you!

#10 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

So, I have about 70 (Ale, Pale Ale, Copper Ale, Stout, IPA, Summer Ale,  Bock, etc. etc.) custom labels that I created on CS5.  Then, I have them backed up on a zip / flash drive, almost 8 GB.  Then, I just go to Kinko's Fed Ex to laser print on 10x14 size heavy stock paper.  Then, I come home, carefully cut them out, use milk as an adhesive and place them on clean 22oz brown bottles.

If you would like, I can post an image of one of my labels for your viewing if you like?  That way maybe you can check to see if it is viewable on your PSP or not.

Thanks again.

HI. I would love to see pictures of ALL your labels!!! that's awesome! and thanks for the info on the programs above. 

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

And thank You for reporting your experiences with that program. It is one I use now and then. I bought it on sale and Now wish I'd bought another copy that I could use on this computer.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users