Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think my computer is dying (or is it just a virus?)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Benie

Benie

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

Hey. I got serious problems happening to my computer, that's been happening for at least a week and seems it's just getting worse. I have Windows 7 64 bit, SP1.

So anyway, my computer has been acting fine before (fine as in, taking 5 minutes to boot Windows, and the occasional, rare ful system lockup).

One day, Windows Update got a lot of Important updates. I got Windows Update set to download the updates but let me choose to install them. So I did. Computer restarted, all but two updates failed. Another update gotten them.

Since then, my computer has been acting strange. This is what has been happening;

• BSODs; "MEMORY_MANAGMENT" mainly. I saw this before when my computer was very dusty. After de-dusting, the BSOD's stopped. Now they're back.
  • Programs like Firefox and Thunderbird crashing for no reason. Reinstalling doesn't fix the issues.
  • Windows Search crashing for no reason. I "fixed" it before by waiting for hours for it to do a new index. Now it's corrupt again.
  • When booting up computer, CHKDSK sometimes pops up to scan my C drive for issues, and always finding some.
  • Windows' System Maintenance (the Action Center thing) keeps telling me of "Disk volume errors" being detected.

Here's what I've done so far to try to fix the issues;

• Defragmented
  • Use Disk Cleanup
  • Ran CCleaner (standard and registry cleaning)
  • Scanned for viruses

So, viruses. I have ran SUPERAntiSpyware and all it found was Cookies. Spybot Search & Destroy.. found something it can't seem to remove. A "Win32.Downloader.gen". Calls it Malware. So I searched and went to a site, who said to come here and ask.

I'm currently running MalwareBytes Free. I'm not even sure if removing this will fix these issues. I fear it's something much worse that I have to replace my drives, or reinstall Windows.

Edited by Benie, 05 June 2013 - 12:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:00 AM

my computer is acting same way

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#3 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

Benie,

Please post the make/model of the hard drive that these symptoms reside upon.

Gut instinct tell me the memory management may be paging issues when taken with other error messages.

Has native Memory Diagnostics been evoked; or Memtest86 from bootable media?

Thanks,

J

Edit: Please refrain from any and all further defragging, scanning for corrupt system files/malware, chkdsk-ing or other intensive read/write operations until one backs-up any data that one holds dear or valuable: I would encourage all to do this on a regular basis. :smash:

Edited by bludgard, 05 June 2013 - 09:23 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

my computer is acting same way

Please...initate a new topic of your own, rather than interject comments in a topic of another member.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users