Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Messed Up My Computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 djnix

djnix

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:31 PM

ill admit im a little uninformed when it comes to computers. i was running a spyware remover and it somehow deleted some of my hkey references. is there anyway i can fix this? all of the icons except folders read for example, internet.ink
help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:33 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :thumbsup:

You could try a system restore to restore your settings back to the way they were before. More info on this can be found HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 djnix

djnix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:46 PM

even that comes up as a .ink file. it comes up with a message saying
windows cannot recognize this file:
File: system restore.ink
to open this file, windos needs to know what program created it. windows can go online and look it up or you can select it manually. and when i click go online it says its an unknown file too.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:05 PM

Can you still open your antivirus program? Does it have a repair feature for the damage it's done? If you can't open anything, it seems doubtful that you will be able to restore anything to its previous function. Even a repair install may not work since your file associations are so damaged that your data files have the wrong extensions.

And isn't it "lnk" rather than "ink"?

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:25 PM

See if this helps:
How to Fix a Broken .EXE Association
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 09:02 AM

spyware remover and it somehow deleted some of my hkey references. is there anyway i can fix this?

Don't know which "spyware remover" you used but many have a backup option to restore from.
Looked there yet?

Edited by HitSquad, 14 April 2006 - 09:05 AM.

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 05:22 PM

I do not want to be a spoilsport or anything like that but the hkey references is in the system registry. If he trashed the registry I am pretty sure his system is toast and should look to reinstalling from scratch.

Here is an article from PC World on how to reinstall windows:

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid...6,tk,urx,00.asp

If you have to reinstall windows and have never done this before I would suggest using this article and also someone who has done this before right along with you.

Also what program were you using when this happened? None of this "I think it was this program" please we have to know what program exactly.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:07 PM

Do you have a Windows XP full installation disk?
Or a Restore Disk from the computer manufacturer?
Or does you computer have a restore partition on the hard drive? (some manufacturers place a restore partition on the hard drive instead of providing a restore disk).

Have you ever done a backup of the registry before you used the antimalware program and does that program have a restore button to revert the registry to the state it was in before you trashed it?

Edited by Enthusiast, 14 April 2006 - 06:08 PM.

#9 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:26 AM

If he trashed the registry I am pretty sure his system is toast and should look to reinstalling from scratch.

Hi djnix, I don't think your registry is totally trashed yet. I would agree with this statement if you were unable to boot your system. So I believe a reinstall is premature at this point--you may have to eventually but we're not at that point yet.

Modifying the registry is required to remove malware nowadays aqnd unfortunately automatic scanners alone will rarely solve the problem. My advice is that you should post a HijackThis log so you can be guided thru the process of what needs to be done by someone with experience who knows what and how to make correct modifications, manually if necessary. But before you can do that, you need your exe file associations restored, so let's concentrate on that for now.

1. Try the instuctions in tg1911's post. That should fix the problem. If you have any questions at all please post back here and we can help you with it. And in general we really need your feedback to know what to do to help you better.

2. Please tell us what scanner caused this problem. It could be a rogue/fraud program that actually infected your system in the first place. If it's a legit program we'll know better how to help you with it by giving specific instructions.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users