Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Not Working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kkbutters

kkbutters

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:25 PM

When I try to do a system restore on my Dell 4600c a blank page pops up. Is there another way to
do a system restore? I have tried going to start>all programs>system tools>system restore I have also tried going to my computer>system tasks>system restore. I have had no luck there either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:30 PM

It is possible to run system restore from a command prompt. More info can be found HERE.

Are you sure System Restore is turned on?
Start > right click on My Computer > Properties > System Restore tab

Make sure "Turn off System Restore on all drives" is UNchecked

If that doesn't help, you have to ask yourself why it isn't working. Are you experiencing other buggy behavior from this computer? Does it run slower than it used to?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 04:11 PM

You can also launch Windows System Restore from msconfig.

Click on "Start" then "Run", type in msconfig and click "OK".

Dell's Restore process (to reset your computer back to the original system state it was in whan it was "new") is different.

Which are you trying to use?

Dell PC Restore by Symantec is available on Dimension and Inspiron systems that shipped on or after 7/16/2004 in the Americas and 8/30/2004 in Europe.
Information about how to access and use it can be found here:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&c=us&cs=&s=gen

Edited by Enthusiast, 14 April 2006 - 04:12 PM.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:54 PM

A number of questions first. Do you have all of the data files backed up on your system that you need to have later? This is important.

This should be the system specs for the 4600c or atleast some of them.

# Product: Dell Dimension 4600C
# Specs: With 2.8-GHz Pentium 4, 512MB DDR SDRAM, 80GB hard drive, DVD+RW drive, 64MB ATI All-in-Wonder 9000 graphics, 17-inch LCD

Do you have Service Pack 2 installed? If so the system recovery disk is useless except for the system image file.

If you are trying to do a system restore back to an earlier date and you have system restore turned off you are in a world of hurt because it is not going to work because there is no information there for it. So the best thing you can do is back up all of your data that is important to a CD-R or a DVD=/-R (This is important for either a system Restore or anything like it just to make your data safe.

If you have to do any type of restore or repair I would suggest the following two web sites:

The first is how to make a bootable repair disk with Service Pack 2 slipstreamed into it. The second is how to do a system repair.

How to build a XP-SP2 Recovery Disk = http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1747010,00.asp

How to do a System Repair = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users