Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The haunted vicarage....ghostly wifi network issues...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mattedwardsuk

mattedwardsuk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

Hello all this is my first post but I've been a longtime reader of the site which is excellent!!!!

Right I have a customer with an old property...They have spent over 2 millions renovating and the original IT person they had involved told them not to bother with installing any CAT cabling...doh! He quickly realised that this was huge mistake when the wifi was blocked out by the high metalic content of the bricks and all the stone walls.

So he opted for a weird combination of homeplugs with inbuilt wifi that have never worked. After many months he was sacked and I was recommended to them to fix the problem.

Initially they had 12 homeplugs with discreet wifi networks which were causing untold problems. For some reason he had replaced the original Sky Router with a TP link one that didn't even have wifi, despite it being located in the one room they most needed wifi....

So I've removed all of homeplugs and updated the two desktops with 300N wifi dongles, updated all of the ipads and iphones to the latest version of iOS. The two laptops had old G wifi cards so these were both updated with a 300N internal card. The main router was a sky one so I redeployed that turning off wifi save myself the troublIe of hacking passwords off it, I connected one of the new N900 DB cable routers from Tp-Link to this. Finally I installed 2 Netgear wireless extenders to ensure the whole house and out buildings had wifi coverage. So far things were all fine...then I started to notice some oddities

Whilst the newer setup is far simpler and consolidated (instead of each room having it's own wireless network!) I've had issues with the HP printer (wifi/airport) and the one desktop that primarily connect via the 1st extender. Also the iPad won't connect if this desktop is switched on and if the desktop is on the HP Printer won't appear on the other PC Laptop, despite showing on the iOS devices. They seem to come and go to suit. The other end of the building which has a Brother printer (wifi/airport) works 100% of the time without fault.

Now this problematic desktop, was apparently blue screening all the time, the original IT person installed Windows 7 and then 8 to try and fix this issue. The customer seems to think this was to resolve a similar networking issue...

Since everything works as long as that particular desktop isn't connected I've asked the customer to not use it for a week to try and isolate the issue. My concern is that I've missed something. I've not used the Netgear branded extenders before, and they recommended that I use the same SSID all be it with an _EXT naming prefix. So I thought that might be the issue or something DCHP related but I'm not 100% and would really appreciate some assistance....

Failing that it could be haunted and my life damned for touching things!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mattedwardsuk

mattedwardsuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

I should probably state the specs:

1. Sky ADSL wifi modem with wifi turned off...connected to..

2. TP LINK WDR4900 cable modem providing main coverage of wifi..this incidentally also has a VODAPHONE Signal booster unit connected (only just considered this being an issue).

3. 2 Netgear wireless extenders WN3000RP boosting the wifi  to the 2 ends using 2 different SSIDs

4. 2 Desktop computers, one running Vista (working fine) one running Windows 7 (not properly working) both with new 300N cards

5. 3 iphones and 2 ipads all seemingly working fine...

6. 2 laptops, one running Windows 7 and one running Vista both using 300N dongles, the Windows 7 unit incidentally has occasional issues getting connection to the HP, Brother always works.

6. HP 7510 printer connected via wifi and Brother JD6150DW also connected via wifi.

Please help!!!!

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:31 PM

I will need to read through this a few more times, but at this point I'm stumped too  :mellow:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users