Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite P100 won't boot, black screen but working indicator lights

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gamachii

Gamachii

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

Hello Everyone.

Thank you for taking a look at my problem.

My laptop will not boot. After pressing the power button, the power light and hard drive "thinking" light will come on, the fans go, sometimes the screen backlight flashes but ultimately the screen remains black. No cursor, no backlight, nothing. After a varying amount of time it will just stop thinking or doing much of anything.

I don't believe it to be the screen, as there are no start-up sounds. I have checked the internal connection of the screen to the motherboard, but that seems fine. I also have attached to an external monitor, but no luck.

I've also troubleshot the power, as far as trying to power on without the battery installed, or leaving it to charge for a while before turning it on, and trying out a power cycle (Removing the battery and AC adapter, holding the power button to deplete any stored power, leaving it a few minutes and plugging it in again) but that doesn't seem to be the issue either.

I've had issues similar to this before, usually after a hard crash or system freeze (I think due to RAM shortage) where the laptop would eventually turn back on again if I kept turning the power on and off. In those cases, it would "think" with a black screen, sometimes for 20-30 min, and then power off by itself and then power back on and the screen would work.

The power-down preceding this particular instance was a routine restart while installing a windows update. Nothing is getting it to come back on this time around.

At this point, I'm guessing its some sort of hardware failure, but short of buying new parts at random till I find out what is not working I'm rather at a loss of what to do next.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

I have a Toshiba that acts the same. I have noticed that if I take the RAM out and replace it with other modules, it will boot but will ultimately restart: Even in Safe Mode. Pulled MB to check for damage or overheating (maybe a bit on the integrated GPU), dissasembled the fan assemblty to remove dust, fresh thermal-pasted on GPU and CPU, swapped RAM about, Slammed a new HDD in and installed a copy of Windows 7 x64. Ran fine for a few days and started the reboot cycle. Could be that these need re-flowing (which I haven't tried on this machine yet).

This machine has been powered on for a total of 7 days (w/4 power-ons) by S.M.A.R.T. of original HDD. Believe it is a 2005 or 08 model.... Almost given up interest but would love to figure this out; 17 in screens are pretty. :hello:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

I have a Toshiba that acts the same. I have noticed that if I take the RAM out and replace it with other modules, it will boot but will ultimately restart: Even in Safe Mode. Pulled MB to check for damage or overheating (maybe a bit on the integrated GPU), dissasembled the fan assemblty to remove dust, fresh thermal-pasted on GPU and CPU, swapped RAM about, Slammed a new HDD in and installed a copy of Windows 7 x64. Ran fine for a few days and started the reboot cycle. Could be that these need re-flowing (which I haven't tried on this machine yet).

This machine has been powered on for a total of 7 days (w/4 power-ons) by S.M.A.R.T. of original HDD. Believe it is a 2005 or 08 model.... Almost given up interest but would love to figure this out; 17 in screens are pretty. :hello:

You should start your own post.  It is unfair to post your problems in another members topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

Could be that these need re-flowing (which I haven't tried on this machine yet).

You should start your own post. It is unfair to post your problems in another members topic.

I appologige: I wasn't acctually posting for help but commiserating. :hug:

Feel free to remove my comment (this one too) as I will figure this machine out eventually. I'm'll tear 'er apart again tomarrow but am out of thermal compound ATM.

Really wasn't trying to hi-jack the thread. Sorry.

I will post any success for OP, though.

J

#5 Gamachii

Gamachii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

I appreciate the commiserating, especially since it seems no one else has any idea what else might be wrong. :P

I'm hoping that some new ram might help, even if it's just for a short while.

I might try going to go to a local repair place and see if they have any sticks lying about to see if it will boot.

If not, guess I'll put in an order with Newegg and hope it turns out.

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:39 AM

I'm leaning towards janky on-board graphics or CPU. Do not know if dying CMOS battery could cause this behavior or not.... :question:

Luckily I have a few test machines lying about which makes diagnosing RAM and whatnot a bit easier.

Will the machine boot from something like Puppy Linux?

Edited by bludgard, 06 June 2013 - 08:42 AM.

#7 Gamachii

Gamachii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

I do think my cmos battery was dying or not working correctly. Or at least the clock was not keeping time, and there was nothing software related that I could find that would fix it.

However, I was told that you don't replace batteries on a laptop, and charge them instead? Not sure if that is true, but either way, it might be sodered on.

I'm going to try Puppy Linux, I'll let you know how it goes.

#8 Gamachii

Gamachii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

Seems to be a no on the Puppy Linux.

I removed the harddrive to make sure it would boot from the CD, and it thought about it a lot, but still no boot.

Looking like the motherboard is dead more and more. :(

#9 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

Well I swapped CPU, RAM etc. and rechecked all connections. Same bleeping no boot/reboot crap. However; if I let the MB "hang-loose" it boots fine....LOLz

[attachment=138609:0610031058 (Copy).jpg]

I agree with OP that MB is trash on these budget laptops.

Edit: Seems to be CPU socket related. As long as there is no pressure put on or around the socket the computer runs fine. As soon as I touch the area around the socket and release; it shuts down and reboots. If I continue to apply slight pressure, it will not boot. Once I place the MB in casing the pressure is on and just a brick.

I guess I'll suspend the MB in a bubble inside a shoe-box, mount the monitor on top and call it a tablet.... :hysterical:

Since no-one has anything to add to the topic; maybe something I post will help OP narrow down the problem. I have left this machine inna corner for three months for aggravation. No longer aggravated but on a mission.

Edited by bludgard, 10 June 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#10 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

Seems that there were some pads (maybe to hold the CPU and a few PCBs up?) that were placed in the bottom of casing. I removed them as they seemed a bit out of place (metal-coated pads contacting heatsink and PCBs?) and everything works a charm. Maybe it was shorting out?

Selling it tommarrow for $200. I kinda want to keep it now, but need to move on.... :dance:

Oh; it's a 2010 model. Why Vista was still being installed OEM then is beyond me. 

Maybe OP can open the machine to see if this may be a possible fix for the non-boot issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users