Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everything saved from the internet gets deleted automatically

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ben2umbc

ben2umbc

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

Something nasty is going on in my Vista PC. Everything I download, be it EXE, ZIP, JPG, etc gets deleted as soon as its downloaded.

Malwarebytes and AVG didn't find anything, I have uninstalled those programs, and tried Windows Defender and still no luck.

I'm running Vista Home, SP 2.

I think it was a rogue "Jave is out of date" popup that installed when somebody else using this computer clicked on the link that might have installed something malicious, something with firefox. Seems strange, because I'm running the latest Java, but anyway.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

Edit: Moved topic from Windows Vista to the more appropriate forum, at the suggestion of membership. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 apparatus

apparatus

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

hi.

Java out of date could be as it says or it could be a fake rogue something... Anyway I like to help about the download problem.

1 - Did you always have that problem?

2 - Do you use the browser default downloader or a software to download?

3 - Did you try to test to save to different locations? If not why not test that.

Because it happens that the folder that you want to save to, has a windows protection enabled, for this reason a completed download may be stuck in the download temp folder (of the browser or the download software) and not moved to the saved location that you specify.

4 - if number 3 fails try it again but this time save the download to a USB.

#3 ben2umbc

ben2umbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

Hi Apparatus,

1) No. This problem is fairly recent, noticed it a few weeks ago.

2) Yes, using either firefox or internet explorer, no download helpers.

3) yes, saved to downloads folder, and also desktop produces the same result

4) I'm pretty sure that's not the problem but I will give it a shot later when I get home.

I'm strongly suspicious of malware in this case.

#4 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,041 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

What message do you get when you try to download anything, if anything?

xXToffeeXx~

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 04 June 2013 - 03:31 PM.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#5 apparatus

apparatus

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

See if you can also save to another partition than the windows partition.

#6 ben2umbc

ben2umbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

Okay,

I think the problem has been solved, and the culprit was actually AVG. Even though I had uninstalled AVG from the Programs menu in control panel, other components remained installed and had to be removed manually. AVG 2013 has been known to cause downloading issues.

See http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=226834&type=0

for future reference.

Thanks guys.

#7 apparatus

apparatus

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

that is great but do not stay without an anti virus, windows defender is not an antivirus.

And about the link that you have i was reading and I could see that someone fixed the problem by deleting the older version folder of AVG http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=227932#post_227932

So give it a try again but make sure that you have completely uninstalled the previous version AVG and its folders.

Edited by apparatus, 05 June 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#8 ben2umbc

ben2umbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

I did removal all traces of AVG that I could find, ran a registry scan with CC Cleaner, and the problem seems to be resolved, downloading of photos and everything else works fine now.

Will stick with Malwarebytes for Antivirus.

#9 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,041 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus, it is an anti-malware scanner. You need an anti-virus as it will detect some viruses that Malwarebytes will not, and if you do not use an anti-virus then your computer will be susceptible to viruses.

Here is the canned which the team members use about anti-viruses:

I don't see an anti-virus program running on your machine. An anti-virus is an essential piece of software which stops the majority of malware before it can do any damage

Download and install an antivirus program, and make sure that you keep it updated.
New viruses come out every minute, so it is essential that you have the latest signatures for your antivirus program to provide you with the best possible protection from malicious software.
Three good antivirus programs free for non-commercial home use are Avast!Avira and Microsoft Security Essentials

Note: You should only have one antivirus installed at a time. Having more than one antivirus program installed at once is likely to cause conflicts, and may well decrease your overall protection as well as impairing the performance of your PC.

Personally I suggest downloading one of the above and using Malwarebytes as well. I have Avira and Malwarebytes, and they do an excellent job of protecting my system. Also, are you running the paid version of Malwarebytes?

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#10 ben2umbc

ben2umbc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

10-4, I will look into all that tonight.

Ben

#11 apparatus

apparatus

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

or why not install AVG again after that the problem got fixed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users