Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop freezing with power cord plugged in

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Britain 

Britain 

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:08 AM

This is the first time I've been to this site, so I'm hoping to gain some knowledge on why this is happening, with a possible cheap / free solution (though I doubt it will end up being free ~.~).

First I'm going to list my laptop specs:

Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
    Intel Pentium T2330 @ 1.60GHz    76 °C
    Merom 65nm Technology
RAM
    2.00GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 265MHz (4-4-4-12)
Motherboard
    Intel Corporation SANTA ROSA CRB (U2E1)    79 °C
Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1280x800@60Hz)
    Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family (Toshiba)
    Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family (Toshiba)
Hard Drives
    112GB TOSHIBA MK1246GSX (SATA)    44 °C
Optical Drives
    DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L632H ATA Device
Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

You'd be right to say that this computer is complete crap. At the moment I'm not doing very well, and I won't be able to afford a replacement for some time. However, it is getting me by with what I need to do on it, but I am having a frequent issue that I have pinpointed through trial and error.

First, I'm going to explain the type of freezing I'm talking about. When my computer freezes it stops completely, but the screen is still on. I can see what the computer's last moment before it stopped, the cursor remains, everything is the same except everything has stopped. No, it does not recover. It can be on all night long and it wouldnt' have changed one bit. I am forced to hit the power button to turn the computer off.

Now, I thought this might be my graphics card, since it's a visual problem. Then I started to think it might be my hard drive failing. I have a laptop that was just like the one I have right now (but the old one won't even turn on), so I used the old hard drive in that one to see if it worked. I did not. So, it's not the hard drive, so it must be the grahics card. I gave up on trying to fix it and just accepted that it was going to happen.

Few weeks later I started having major issues. It wouldn't start up. I thought it was dead, tried to change the RAM around, thinking it might be corrupted RAM, it wasn't. Then I noticed after an hour or so that when it would start up the power cord wasn't plugged in. So I thought, maybe it has something to do with power...

I tried to start up without a battery, it still wouldn't work. I left the battery in and removed the power cord, it would start up. I tried starting the computer up without the power in, then plugging it in after I saw the BIOS start up, it would freeze during startup. I tried waiting until windows has started... it would stay on, until it froze while I was using it.

So, I have discoverd that the only time it freezes is when the power cord is plugged into the laptop. If I use the computer just on the battery then it runs perfectly, unfortunately the battery runs out within 90 minutes or so. I also tried to keep it on Power Saver, it lasts longer, but if I try plugging the cord in on Power Saver it will freeze instantly the moment I plug it in.

Also, I've tried a different power cord and it still does it.

Very weird, but I narrowed the issue down a bit over the past few weeks. Yes, the computer is crap, but it's my computer and I have to live with it until I can spare the money to get a new one. I have to make this work, and atm it still works, but if anyone knows what it might be that I can fix, it would give me a lot less stress trying to accept it...

I pretty much assume the motherboard is dying, but I'm not entierly sure that it is just because it works so well when it's on the battery. It will never freeze while on the battery, ever. So I don't know. My solution has to be very inexpensive, I can't really afford to send it in to some shop and give them hundreds of dollars for this thing, even if I could spare the money to do so.

Thank you for any help, I know it's not easy but I'm hoping someone out there knows what it might be.

Edited by Britain , 04 June 2013 - 03:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

the only time it freezes is when the power cord is plugged into the laptop...Also, I've tried a different power cord and it still does it

It sounds like a mechanical problem (as opposed to software corruption, etc.) A bad/shorting connector can cause these problems. After plugging/unplugging a hundred times the small solder connections weaken and break. My son had a similar problem on his Acer lap. After removing the small cover where the power cord plugged into the receiving socket on the lap, I discovered that the connecting wire running from the laptop's power supply to the receiving socket for the power cord plug had broken off at the solder joint on the socket. The original wire was exactly the length needed to reach the socket contact after removing the broken piece so  there wasn't enough length to solder it back on again. So... I finally got a piece of wire the same size as the original (about 2 inches) and soldered one end to the original power supply wire, and the other to the connector (IOW spliced-in a new connecting length) and used shrink wrap to further reinforce the connection and insulate against shorts. His lap is working perfectly to this day. Your problem may be a bit different, but a visual inspection seems to be needed here.

Fortunately, on my son's Acer, there was a separate cover for the plug and jack so it was not necessary to remove the entire back cover. I lucked out on that one.

Edited by ranchhand_, 04 June 2013 - 09:34 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Britain 

Britain 
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

I'll see if I can open it up and get some pictures, I think I know what you're talking about, I'm just not very knowledgable about hardware.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

What is the make and model of the laptop? Generally speaking if a computer freezes its likely due to overheating this is true for both pc's and desktops. While this may not be the case here its a good place to start. Also if you leave the laptop unplugged and off overnight or a few hours does it still freeze up right away with the cord in?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 04 June 2013 - 09:54 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Britain 

Britain 
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

What is the make and model of the laptop? Generally speaking if a computer freezes its likely due to overheating this is true for both pc's and desktops. While this may not be the case here its a good place to start. Also if you leave the laptop unplugged and off overnight or a few hours does it still freeze up right away with the cord in?

Toshiba Satellite A205-S5804

It doesn't matter if it's been resting or w/e, when I plug it in there is a chance it will freeze (screen stops on it's last action, doens't turn black or anything, but you have to power it off).

I generally can't have the power cord plugged in during startup when it's booting up, only after when it has started windows can I plug it in.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

Hi

This is a well known issue with old Toshiba satellite series laptops. The real culprit is a   NEC/TOKIN capacitor used for filtering the CPU core voltage. Replacing it requires practical experience in SMD electronics. I repair laptop boards and have seen enough Toshiba laptops with this issue.

More info :

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8991

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 05 June 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

Wow... yes, I can see that is possible. I have replaced caps (capacitors) on a couple of desktop computer motherboards. You can tell which ones are bad by examining the tops; if the tops are not flat but bulge upward (like a mushroom), and many times electrolyte is leaking out of the ruptured top or bottom (thick, gooey brownish stuff) the cap is bad. Also had to replace three caps on my Samsung LCD TV power supply circuit board, it started working like new. I would still check out the socket on the lap though.

Edited by ranchhand_, 05 June 2013 - 05:32 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:12 AM

Thanks for the info Anshad Edavana, I really need to check out that site could save some headaches and a laptop or two from the grave yard. :thumbup2:

Edited by Sneakycyber, 06 June 2013 - 12:14 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 Britain 

Britain 
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

Well, I don't think it will help, but I ordered a replacement for my power jack. If it doesn't work then it's just 7 dollars, but as far as replacing capacitors... I don't think I have any option to do that. If there is someone around my area that can, it would probably be too expensive.

I really don't know what else I can do. I don't have the money to buy a new computer atm, but I maybe could afford a replacement motherboard? A quick google search shows them to be ~50 dollars, though they look nothing like the motherboard in this laptop, but that might just be a static image the uploader uses for all motherboards...

Are there other options I should be aware of to save money if the power jack replacement doesn't work? Thanks again.

Edited by Britain , 06 June 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

Hi Britain

This problem is caused by the NEC\TIKON  in 99% cases.

http://forums.toshiba.com/tshb/attachments/tshb/brd_batt_pwr/6918/1/DSCN0692.jpg

However there are some tricks exists which can lower the CPU core voltage load. You can try the below steps as a last resort. This is only a temporary solution.

Boot the system in to safe mode and open device manager. Expand the processors and you may see two processors listed in there (2 cores). Right click on both of them and select disable. This will disable the CPU power management.

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

Britain, there is a respected website called Badcaps.net; this fellow has been around for a long time. He posts a tutorial on how to do the work yourself, and he also has a service. He posts his prices, the link is here:  http://badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=12

Wouldn't hurt to check it over.

Edited by ranchhand_, 06 June 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#12 Britain 

Britain 
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

Thank you for the responses, I'll check it out.

#13 ibrahimmunaser

ibrahimmunaser

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2015 - 01:18 PM

OMMMGGG I THINK I HAVE THE SOLUTION TO THIS!!!!!! WELL I HAVE HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY MSI GAMING COMPUTER FOR SOOO LONG!!! WHAT I DID WAS GO TO

-CONTROL PANEL

-THE DEVICE MANAGER

-THEN GO TO BATTERY

-THEN DISABLE Microsoft AC Adapter and Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

after you do this you will see that the battery notification thing on the bottom right of the screen goes away... but it will still run and still charge your battery if you plug in your charger. HOPE THIS HELPS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users