Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keep me safe with a dedicated/virtual PC of multiple operating systems!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NotionCommotion

NotionCommotion

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

I've been stressed about having my personal PC hacked for a while, and think it is about time to do something about it.  While I want security, I also want convienence.  I am thinking of creating a dedicated interface for "critical" purposes, and then remote into it only via a local LAN only when needed.  Critical purposes would be limited to online banking, doing TurboTax, doing quickbooks, etc.  Options are:

1. Use a dedicated PC.
    1. Should it be Linux or Windows?  Day to day, I use Windows and my wife knows nothing but Windows?
  2. Create a virtual server
    1. On my primary Windows PC used for day-to-day use
    2. On my Linux PC used for website developement
    3. On a dedicate a PC just for "critical" purposes. Should the host be Linux or Windows?  Should the client be something different?

Please provide recomendations

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

I can tell You what I did. Whether that will be right for you I can not say.

Back when Windows 7 was just released I bought a $329 laptop. I only use it for online banking, Bill paying, Income tax software, Shopping at major websites.

No Email, No Browsing of the internet.

I keep it up to date, Current Antivirus, No Flash player, no Java.

I turn it on, I plug in the AC adapter, and the Ethernet cable. Twice a month. Do my financial stuff. Turn it off and put it back on the shelf til time to pay again. I use as my dedicated financial computer only. Nothing else. I have a nice desktop for everything else.

If I need a laptop I grab the other general purpose laptop and use it. The financial laptop stays off.

Slightly expensive but I'm a bit paranoid about my money. I worked to hard for it.

Also, You could use a Netbook instead of a laptop to save a little money. I wanted the bigger screen.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 NotionCommotion

NotionCommotion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

Thanks Roger,

Not really convienent, but do you sleep better at night?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

Hi,

Not that bad to use, I only hook it up twice a month. I used to see more people that had financial problems caused by using the same computer for business and play.

One misclick, or clicking on a malicious link in Google and bad news.

Identity theft, bank account cleaned out. One person was telling me he watched them search out and download his tax returns. ID Theft from that one.

One person I remember came to pay for something and it was declined. He said I have a lot of money in there. I mentioned go to the bank Today,The bank got it back for him luckily. It was over $2000.

So Yes I sleep better ever since I switched to a Money computer and a General Purpose computer. My Other GP laptop is just in case, A third one is to learn Windows 8 on.

Whatever You decide, Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 NotionCommotion

NotionCommotion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

Yes Roger,

I think I will sleep better at night doing exactly as you do as well, but my concern is how do I get my wife to allow me to sleep well at night?  If she needs to go down and plug in power to that dang machine and put that strange 9 pin connector into it, I have a feeling I won't be sleeping better at night (but might have fun :cowboy: )

I need to find a way to make it convenient.  That is my thought behind the remote desktop connection but only available via a LAN.  Any thoughts particular to this implementation?

Thanks

Edited by Orange Blossom, 08 June 2013 - 12:31 PM.
Moving to general AV forum. ~ OB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users