Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor won't turn on - high pitched beeping noise

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shatto

Shatto

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

So I work at a college as a computer lab tech. Several of the monitors on our computers have stopped working, they won't turn on, the monitor power button flashes orange/amber and emits a high pitch beeping sound, They are old Dell monitors. They're running windows XP. It just seems to me like the monitor went out but without warning. So any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:01 AM

Hi,

From the sounds of it I'd be replacing those monitors before you release the smoke that has been built into them.

Keep us posted

PS: many years ago I was told by an engineer, I trusted, that they build a limited amount of smoke into each device. If you ever release that smoke the device will not work again. At that time, component replacement was possible. Today, either the device or the IC board is as close as you can get.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

Are they CRT (picture tube) type monitors? If so it's not worth trying to do anything with them. Some failure modes of CRT monitors produce a pulsed squeal which could be what you're describing.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 aQuilla

aQuilla

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:29 AM

Do the beeping sounds came from the monitors itself? Didn't you consider problems regarding the RAM of the computers? 

#5 Shatto

Shatto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:18 AM

Do the beeping sounds came from the monitors itself? Didn't you consider problems regarding the RAM of the computers? 

Yes they come from the monitor, I know because I changed monitors and the computer itself works fine but the beeping on the monitor continues until I unplug the power from it.

#6 aQuilla

aQuilla

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

Yes they come from the monitor, I know because I changed monitors and the computer itself works fine but the beeping on the monitor continues until I unplug the power from it.

You did mention that those are old monitors (CRT) right? Well then there's no problem at all. They just need replacement! :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users