Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Starts after few minutes goes black, no video input

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Zwal

Zwal

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:16 PM

Hi guys,

A nephew of mine installed some stuff on the pc of my folks and it slowed down crazy. I cleaned the HDD to reinstall Windows.
But the pc went crazy and it drives me crazy now, have been trying to get Windows installed, yesterday and today after work, but the pc just keeps going off it seems.
I startup, if i dont do anything i get the message, boot.msg. If i choose BIOS or make the dvd master, everything seems to go well, but after a couple of minutes everything goes blank and the screen says, no video input. But all the fans, including those of my videocard and CPU and case keeps on spinning. But my videocard and CPU cools off, so i guess the mobo shuts all off.

What could be the reason? MOBO fail? videocard gets too hot and some kind of security mechanism? Or is the power supply?

I tried the following: 1) I opened the case, cleaned all the dust. 2) removed 3 ram sticks 3) I got an old HDD and tried to get it work with that 4) tried another screen, all failed.

I wanted to try another videocard, but dont want to buy a new one, and havent been able to find one till now to borrow and check that out.

Please do help me, cause i really want to solve this thing..

Check the 2 photos, the inside of the pc and the videocard.

http://s21.postimg.org/ipd3n75d3/20130603_232747_1.jpg

http://s23.postimg.org/t1f88cm4b/20130603_232657_2.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BorgDan

BorgDan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

Hello! Check temperatures in BIOS if any of them too high. And get another card to test ofc :(

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

I cleaned the HDD

Sorry to hear of your probs. Nice unit, looks like a homebuild.

If everything was good before the software installations by your nephew, then we start there. How did you clean the HD? Did you first remove the partition(s), then reformat (NTFS), then reinstall Windows? Do you have Windows installed or not, you said you were trying, but it seems that from your post it is running? After reinstalling Windows (I assume Windows7??) did you install the motherboard drivers, especially the chipset drivers from the CD that came with the motherboard?

Edited by ranchhand_, 04 June 2013 - 09:09 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Zwal

Zwal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

Hi ranchhand_, thanks for the reply,

1) I tried to reinstall windows from the dvd, but then realised i had so much movies on my hdd, so returned and deleted everything. After that i used a program called 'Boot and Nuke' via a boot-cd, used it before too, but pc froze. I ejected the cd and tried to start, but pc said no os. I put my windows dvd in it and rebooted, started the install and after 5 minutes orso i got the message 'no video input'. Tried it several times, didnt help, after that i started to well, experiment with removing ram, tried it with another hdd, screen etc etc.

2) I tried to login with another HDD, an old one, with windows xp. But even that one shut down. It seems like there is some kind of command centre that gives an order to shut down after a period of time. Doesnt matter if im in BIOS, or trying to install Windows, it overulles everything. My guess is, its either a self control/protect mechanism, for maybe overheating of my videocard, cause the max temp of my cpu before its shut down was 54C

today, that isnt that much for a cpu i guess? Or it is a virus (?) that is fooling around?

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

Do you have only a restore disk, a restore partition, or a full Windows 7 operating disk?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 Zwal

Zwal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

full operating disk, oem

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

Ok, sorry to put you through this, but how did you try to reinstall Windows?  Did you boot from the CD? I don't mean that you started the CD with your existing Windows already running, but boot from the CD drive itself on restart? and did you get to the part where it looks for an existing operating system and then you have the option of removing the existing partition, or didn't you get that far? By the way, 54°Centigrade is fine for the CPU temperature. Thanks for being patient.

Edited by ranchhand_, 04 June 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#8 Zwal

Zwal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

Please Im happy enough to see you trying to help me out of this! I did boot from the CD yes, had to make the dvd driver master first. It started, got the partition thingy, i deleted partitions and chose 1, after that it started with 'unpacking' when all shut down, except the fans, those kept spinning. I tried this several times, with same result. I will here copy paste some writing from another forum where a helper concluded its hardware and most likely a broke video card.

TEXT 1:

Alex, thanks for replying
1. He did not open the case, 100% positive about that 

2. I must say i did not check what he installed, some sort of game and software according to my sister. I did not check it out, believing it couldnt be something harmful etc. I do regret it now, but yeah..

3. The 5 minutes 'i receive' is just enough to start Windows setup, remove or make partitions and start the installation. But after that time runs up and pc 'shuts down'

4. Above this, i already removed the MOBO battery etc, hence it asked me to setup BIOS and i had to enter date and time.. I dont know if this info helps..

Im at work now and busy thinking what i can do tonight to make some progress..

Thanks again!

REPLY ON TEXT1:

It seems to me this has to be either a hardware compatibility issue or a piece of hardware that has gone bad. I recommend disconnecting everything from the main board that is disconnectable. If no change, I would replace the video card with a known-good card. If no change, I recommend replacing the memory. Usually, removing all but one memory stick and trying them one at a time will do for eliminating or including the memory as the cause.

I don't need it, myself; but, it might help others help you if they knew the make and model of the main board and video card.

MY REACTION:

videocard: ATI RADEON HD5770

mobo: M4A79XTD EVO

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

I recommend replacing the memory

Ok, well let's hold off on that for the moment. I like to test everything out before starting to replace things.

i deleted partitions and chose 1,

Ok, you deleted the partition and that rendered the drive to RAW space; can you confirm if it reformatted the drive in NTFS (or not)? From your description it sounds like it did not. So... if that is the case you have a slicked drive with no file system.

So... let's check out your memory and hard drive status.

Download Memtest 86+ , the "precompiled Bootable ISO (zip)" file (free) from my link; burn it to a CD. Be sure your BIOS is set to CD=1st boot device, Hard Drive=2nd boot device; reboot with the CD in your DVD drive. You will see the screen appear and the testing will automatically start. When it has completed all the tests, the message "press key to exit" will appear. Any errors found will be listed, even one error means that stick of memory is bad. I suggest testing each stick separately if you have more than one installed.

Download Seatools For DOS (free) from my link; in the site screen, click "DOWNLOADS" tab, then "Seatools For DOS". Burn it to a CD. Reboot with it in your drive. In the screen that appears, first check that SMART has (or has not) been tripped. Then click the upper left corner of the screen for the short test and let it run. It will notify you either Pass or Fail. This is from Seagate Corp. but will test all other drives, not just Seagate.

Let us know the results.

Edited by ranchhand_, 04 June 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#10 Zwal

Zwal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

Hi ranchhand_,

Came home from work, ate dinner and did what you advised. 1) I got the message again and lost signal, before Memtest 86+ could finish. 2) I tried Seatools after that, pls see picture for result. I repeated Memtest with other sticks in it, you can see result under '1.1'.

1) Last picture i made before i lost signal, no video input20130605_214509.jpg

1.1) Second attempt

20130605_215152.jpg

2) Seatools check result - https://ssl-proxy-updated.herokuapp.com/6404a9506ed707db15b2c459f874f8219d1bb2a2/687474703a2f2f7331302e706f7374696d672e6f72672f646f7862706e7a72742f32303133303630355f3231343830372e6a7067/

20130605_214807.jpg

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:35 PM

Ok, your hard drive is good and the Memtest is inconclusive. Interesting that the hard drive test finishes, but something crashes the memory test. I have to go out for the evening right now, will get back to you. Good work!

#12 Zwal

Zwal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

By the way i did the hdd test and idled after it finished.. Within 2 minutes the pc 'crashed' ( no video signal).

It seems like the pc cannot keep running too long. Either to protect itself from something(heat?), or the longer it runs the more it gets in deeper layers, which are so corrupted, it just crashes...
Dont ask me what those deeper layers are, it makes sense theoretically :))

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

Quick question... have you swapped your video card out to check if that is the problem (your 1st post).  Do you have integrated video on the motherboard (most boards do now) so if you do you should still get video if you remove the card. I saw your mobo (motherboard) has Crossfire capabilities, do you have dual video cards? If you have not done this, please do it and post back.

#14 Zwal

Zwal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

Thats the only thing i thought about but couldnt do. My mobo doesnt have a on board videocard. Im trying to find a cheap 2hand one to check it.
Ive just one card.

#15 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

Ok... open the side of your case, remove the card and reseat it. Use a small pencil erasor to lightly, gently clean the contacts on the bottom of the card before reinstalling it. If your video card has a cooling fan mounted on it, make sure the fan runs when the computer is booted. It may have failed and the GPU of the card is overheating. While you are doing this, also check that all the other fans are running, including the CPU heatsink fan.

While the case side is open, check the motherboard capacitors for failure. This is becoming a common problem as companies are buying cheaper capacitors and they fail regularly. Capacitors look like small, "Quaker Oats" round boxes set on-end. They are commonly silver color, but can be black, green or brown. The tops of these should be perfectly flat on top; if there are any that are bulging upward, and if there is brown "goo" on the tops, possibly running down the side, or even on the bottom, that capacitor has failed. Even if the cap to is bulging with no electrolyte seeping out it is bad.

There are many capacitors on a motherboard, some large and some small. Check them all. The easiest way to do this is disconnect the desktop computer and lay it on its side with a bright light shining in, even a flashlight is good.

Additional info link:   http://badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

Note the pictures on the right hand side.

Be patient; 1X1 we are eliminating the usual suspects. That video card has not yet been tested, but we will eliminate the others.

Edited by ranchhand_, 07 June 2013 - 06:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users