Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defrag And Chkdsk Fubar

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 All-Gator

All-Gator

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:19 PM

When I attempted to defrag I received the message: Chkdsk if scheduled to run on volume: (c:). Please run chkdsk/f. When I tried to run chkdsk/f I was told it can't be found. (Chkdsk can be run, but is read only.) It also asked if I wanted to run disc check at the next startup. On startup I received the message that volume c cannot be opened and therefore disk check cannot be run.

Virus?? Or what else?? Any ideas??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 06:35 PM

What kind of protection are you running? I've seen this happen with either Spyware Doctor or Norton Internet Security. You might check your event viewer to see if there's anything there. (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer) Also, make sure you have enough disk space and your hard drive isn't nearly full.

Many people are saying that an update to Spyware Doctor has caused these problems.

Defrag will not run when a chkdsk is scheduled because it thinks the drive is dirty and moving files around can make things much worse.

You can also run the System File Checker to see if System files are corrupted: Go to Start -> Run and type:
cmd
. . . and hit enter. This will open a command window and you then type:
sfc /scannow
. . . and hit enter and it will start the checker. If it finds missing or corrupt files it will instruct you to insert your XP CD so that it can copy files.

And you should have everything that you don't want to lose backed up because this could also be indicative of a failing hard drive. This includes things like your address book and favorites/bookmarks. You can export them to a folder so they can be backed up with your other data.

#3 All-Gator

All-Gator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 06:49 PM

Thanks Herk

Plenty of free space and a recently purchased tower. I do use Spyware Doc. I'll give your suggestions a try.

A-G

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:11 PM

Hello All-Gator Here is a quote from your first post:

When I attempted to defrag I received the message: Chkdsk if scheduled to run on volume: (c:). Please run chkdsk/f.

If you ran chkdsk/f like you typed it above it will not run and will give you the error you gave. You have to put in a space between chkdsk and /f and also just to be safe the drive designation. Type the following: chkdsk c: /f

and if you want to know how to run a particular command type it with /? after it like chkdsk /?

Always run from the command prompt and you get to that by clicking START, then RUN, and in the OPEN box type CMD upper or lower case it doesnot matter and hit OK. That opens the command prompt box.

Remember you have to be careful to type what you want correctly otherwise the computer will not run it.

#5 All-Gator

All-Gator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:39 PM

ThorXP,

As you suspected, I typed it without a space.

Herk,
I ran the Windows File Protection and it found XP to be intact. So, I uninstalled Spyware Doc. Lo and behold...problem corrected. I re-installed Spyware Doc and the problem remained a thing of the past. I guess I'm going to re-think which protection I will use in the future.

Again, thanks to all...and a pox on the house of Spyware Doc !!

A-G

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:07 PM

Congrats on getting it fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users