Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ssgt.usaf

ssgt.usaf

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

What do I need to upgrade my factory-intalled Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit.  I want to buy the correct package so there will be as few problems as possible.

Thank you.

:clapping:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

Check out this excellent list of question over at the Microsoft Site that should have the answer your looking for.... http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows-frequently-asked-questions

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

System Builder version of Win 7, http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0PT3I/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1370294580&sr=1-1&keywords=windows+7+builder+64+bit  OR...contact your system manufacturer...and find out if the system carries any upgrade options.

Before making such decisions...I'd make sure that I'm not interested in Win 8.

Just a reminder...you will have delete everything on your current hard drive, if that's the only one for the system.  If a destop, a safe option would be to add a hard drive, with the new install on that.

I have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Win 7...the only difference I noted when I was testing each on 2 separate systems...64-bit actually can utilize more than 4GB of RAM, whereas 32-bit stops at 4GB.  In reality, the need for more than 4GB of RAM...doesn't apply to most of us, IMO.

Louis

#4 ssgt.usaf

ssgt.usaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

Just so you know, I researched the internet before posting my question.  If I cannot find a precise answer, I ask my computer geeks at bleepingcomputer.com. 

The reason I want to upgrade is that I did not realize my system was limited to less than 4GB of RAM.  It is very slow, so I started looking into getting the 64-bit OS.  (I would try Linux, but I'm not sure what it can and cannot do.  I am in the process of building another computer onto which I will put Linux.  It just takes a while to get all the parts.)

Doing a format and install is no problem, as I've done it so many times already with this motherboard. 

Microsoft itself has an upgrade for under $90 - I just didn't know if it would work.  It's the home professional, but it does not provide information on how-many-it operating system.  (I used the "Windows Upgrade Anytime" to see what was available, and as expected, it did not provide enough information.)  It uses my current OS to give the information about upgrade, but does not provide the information on 32- or 64-bit system.

I just don't want to waste money.  I have no idea how to verify the information before ordering it from Microsoft.

Thanks for the help.

#5 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,067 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

How much RAM do you currently use on average?

I have systems with Windows 7 x86 & x64 and don't notice any difference in performance; however, my x64 system only has 4 GB RAM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#6 ssgt.usaf

ssgt.usaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

Windows 7 32-bit will use between 3 and 4 GB of RAM.  Installing more than 4GB is a waste.  I have 4GB installed.   This forum taught me that just before I was about to purchase 8GB of RAM.  My processor is 3.2 dual-core. 

I simply want a better-running system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users