Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Vista SP1 on 2 older HP's - should I upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jp4120

jp4120

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

I am running vista with sp1 on 2 HP machines

1 hp desktop a6120n - with 2 gigs RAM - runs fine but a little slow - just bought 2 sticks RAM - 1 gig each, will total 4 gigs ram

1 hp laptop dv6833us - with 3 gigs RAM - hard drive just went so replaced for $45 - 5 yr old recovery cd's worked fine.

should I upgrade beyond SP1? cautious because I dont' want to introduce new headaches....I am assuming I will at least get some relief from going from 2 to 4 gigs RAM for the laptop.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

Welll...it's not clear what it is that you are contemplating, IMO.

Upgrade...that means improving by moving to a newer component or O/S.

Update...that means move from yesterday to today.

If you are running Vista SP1...you should have updated to SP2 long before now, since that would bring your system security in line with today's protective efforts.

Either Vista O/S (32-bit/64-bit) will work fine with 4GB of RAM.

The question of changes to any system...should always be answered by the user of said system...and should include a realistic appraisal of the changes that user expects to take place.

Going from 2GB to 4GB for any version of Windows since XP...is a winner.  But it won't make an older system...as fast or faster than more recent systems have proven to be.

I've always thought that system reliability...is the most important aspect of my making changes...I don't drag race with my computer, as some seem to think they do :).

Louis

#3 jp4120

jp4120
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

hi thanks for the reply

I just use both computers for  MS office suite, browsing, emailing, downloading, etc, and for $28 for 2 gigs I figured why not.

just wondering if its a good idea to finally install sp2 for the newer security updates or if its better to just stay with SP1 since all is well and I run Norton free from Comcast.

#4 RecklessX

RecklessX

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

As hamluis mentioned it is always best to update to the latest service pack and have the updates from Windows.

Bringing the computers from 2 to 4 GB of RAM is a sound upgrade. It can allow you to use applications more fluidly but you would not notice a increase with performance.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

Failure to install all critical updates (all SPs and all critical updates issued post-SP) leaves the system unnecessarily vulnerable to malware.

An analogy...leaving your home for an extended period of time, with the doors shut, but not locked.

It should not be done, update the system defenses, please.

Louis

#6 jp4120

jp4120
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

ok, finished upgrading both PC with SP2 and all subsequent updates, only hassle was resetting my comcast modem settings but that only took an extra 15 minutes....thx for the advice.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

Easily done, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users