Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone bought a laptop from Digital Storm?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nanofox

Nanofox

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

I am looking at getting my next laptop from there. They seem to have the best parts and warranty for the price. However I am waiting until the next Intel processors come out and they start customizing their very plain cases.

Here are the base specs:

Base Specs:

15” Screen
Intel Core i7 3630QM CPU
8GB 1600MHz Memory
750GB Hard Drive Storage
DVD-RW/CD-RW Multi-Drive
NVIDIA GT 635M 1GB GPU
1920x1080 Resolution LCD

3 Year parts and labor warranty

For around $1,100

Likely going to change the Hard drive in for a 180 SSD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:25 AM

ETA: Middle of June ??
You are pointing at the lowest of the models, so by the time you add a few extras, I would add another $100 or so to your price.

It could use another USB outlet, as I find mine has 2, and there are times I could use 3.

EDIT - Sorry (Rechecked item and it has 3 USB ports)

If you are waiting for upgraded cases, it could add another $50 or more to the cost.

Just my quick, basic view on them -

Edited by noknojon, 04 June 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#3 Nanofox

Nanofox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

Yes, I am not too worried about the extra cost. I also know that it isn’t the high-end model. It is still better than almost anything you can get stock in a store. As far and custom laptops it has one of the best prices.

The bigger questions is do you like it? Is it worth it?

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

Hi -

I have not actually seen their products (except for online), but from what I read they do seem good and include most extras.

They do seem to only make upper line laptops, which is a good thing for them. Have you seen one yet ?

I did not find anything wrong with these, but they do seem to like their "plain cases" as standard, and I personally like this idea. You may be able to email them to see if they have customised (or coloured) cases available already. Not sure what you want -

Did you find a timeline anywhere for updating Intel processors on their product, as I did not find it -

The current ones (Intel) are regarded as good, so why do you wish to wait for the next versions ?

What will run on the new laptop (Windows 7 / 8), and what O/S do you currently use ?

Thank You -

#5 Nanofox

Nanofox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

Hi -

I have not actually seen their products (except for online), but from what I read they do seem good and include most extras.

They do seem to only make upper line laptops, which is a good thing for them. Have you seen one yet ?

I did not find anything wrong with these, but they do seem to like their "plain cases" as standard, and I personally like this idea. You may be able to email them to see if they have customised (or coloured) cases available already. Not sure what you want -

Did you find a timeline anywhere for updating Intel processors on their product, as I did not find it -

The current ones (Intel) are regarded as good, so why do you wish to wait for the next versions ?

What will run on the new laptop (Windows 7 / 8), and what O/S do you currently use ?

Thank You -

No I haven’t seen any of their computers in person, but I did do a lot of research on custom laptops and they were one of the best I found. I have built a gaming desktop with Cyberpower, but as nice as it is the customer service was poor.

As for the plain cases I messaged them on their forum about making some decals or case color options. They were very positive and said that they were working on it and to check back in a few months. Really I love the “falcon northwest” laptops, but they are $1,000 more.

I have heard that the new Intel processors would be coming out around 3rd or 4th quarter this year.

I use windows 7, but I really don’t want to change to windows 8. I have no interest in making my computer more integrated with social websites or having a dumb down user interface. At this point the default OS on Digital Storm is still Windows 7.

Thanks (^_^)

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

As for the plain cases I messaged them on their forum about making some decals or case color options. They were very positive and said that they were working on it and to check back in a few months. Really I love the “falcon northwest” laptops, but they are $1,000 more.

Hi -

My Toshiba laptop is just plain black with TOSHIBA across the front and the Windows 7, ATI Raedon, Intel CORE, and a few other stickers inside, that sometimes can be annoying if the edges start to lift up.

Falcon Northwest seem to only cater for the very top laptops, and are as you said, about $1,000 more for "similar" items.

You seem to have selected the better unit for the price, and I would keep in contact with them for their latest upgrades.

Regards -

#7 Nanofox

Nanofox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for the advice, Unless I find something far better in that price range I am sure my next computer will come from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users