Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New OS can't locate old files

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 NicholeH

NicholeH

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

I recently installed a new motherboard and processor for my outdated desktop. I did the software install by the book, but the old os (XP professional) wouldn't start because of all the new hardware, so I gave in and reinstalled the OS from the disk. I didn't delete the old files, just made a new one. I tried looking all over for my old pictures and files for the windows.old file but they are nowhere to be found. I then found out I can open my old OS in safe mode, and all my old files are still there. I'm currently installing the drivers to this os from the motherboards cd, because I can't get the old files to a USB or cd since you can't burn in safe mode, and the drivers for the USB ports aren't installed. Is there ANY way I can get the files off of the old os? If they still exist, why can't I pull them up in the new os windows.old folder? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

USB is not affected by your situation..;.since Windows installs the USB drivers.  If Windows is installed, you should have USB functionality in either/both install efforts.

Maybe I'm being simplistic...but I don't see why you cannot simply move the files (in safe mode or otherwise)...from one install to the other.  Cut-and-paste...or copy should be able to move any data files.

The Windows old folder...is for the O/S/backup.  There is no reason to even consider it, if you can boot into it and move the files from "old" to "new".

Louis

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

Hi

First of all, this is happened due to the lack of separate OS and data partitions. If you had stored all your data in a separate partition, you won't be in this situation now.

To copy your data, follow the below steps.

- Boot in to the new Windows installation.

- Open Windows.old folder. You will see a folder named "Documents and settings" in there. Inside that you should see your profile folder with your user name. That is if the user name was "NicholeH" , then you will find your My documents and Desktop in the following folders. 

Windows.old\Documents and settings\NicholeH\Desktop

Windows.old\Documents and settings\NicholeH\My Documents

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 03 June 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#4 NicholeH

NicholeH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

USB drivers were not working for the old os with the new hardware, otherwise I would just copy them there. I'm trying to copy old to new, but when I boot into the new OS, I can't access old files at all. I have windows.old but the only files in there are the exact same as you find in the windows folder

In the windows.old folder, the documents and settings file does not exist.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

Hi

How did you installed the new OS ? . If you try to install Win XP to a partition which contains an already installed XP, setup will  usually displays a message looks like the one below.

CAUTION: A \WINDOWS folder already exists that may contain a Windows installation. If you continue, the existing Windows installation will be overwritten.All files, subfolders, user accounts, applications, security, and desktop settings for that Windows installation will be deleted. The "My Documents" folder may also be deleted.

Did you get any message like that ? . Is the old OS is an XP installation at all ?

In which partition you had installed the second XP ?

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 03 June 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#6 NicholeH

NicholeH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

I installed from the boot disk, it's XP professional and it's the same os that was on there previously. I didn't overwrite the files, I never received that warning screen.

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

Hi

How many partitions are in your system and which partition you choose in the partition selection screen ?

9-bothpartmade.JPG

Are you getting an OS selection menu when booting ? 

#8 NicholeH

NicholeH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:21 PM

I don't know how many partitions I had when installing. When I boot up I have 3 XP professionals that I can select, first is my current os, second is my old os that I can boot up only in safe mode, and the third I can't boot up at all. When I installed it, I didn't have any choice to install new or overwrite, it automatically installed new as if there was no existing os because the old os couldn't load.

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

Hi

How many partitions you can see in the My Computer window ? . Is there is only a C drive or extra partitions like D or E exists ? 

#10 NicholeH

NicholeH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

C: local disk, d & I are cd drives, e,f,g,h,j are USB

#11 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

If you can find them on your old OS, is should be as simple as moving them to a location where they can be accessed from either OS. Somewhere like the root of the C: (Or whatever your drives are named.) Find a location that is accessible to both operating system installs, and paste them there. If that does not work, you could always copy them to a free ftp or backup site, and then from there ove them back on to the good OS install.

#12 NicholeH

NicholeH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

If you can find them on your old OS, is should be as simple as moving them to a location where they can be accessed from either OS. Somewhere like the root of the C: (Or whatever your drives are named.) Find a location that is accessible to both operating system installs, and paste them there. If that does not work, you could always copy them to a free ftp or backup site, and then from there ove them back on to the good OS install.

I thought it was supposed to be that simple, but I can't locate the old files at all when I'm in the new OS, and the old OS isn't running compatible with my new hardware and wouldn't install the drivers, so I really can't do anything besides look at stuff in safe mode, can't use disk drive, usb, Ethernet or wireless cards.

#13 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:40 PM

Are you booting into safe mode, or safe mode with networking? If you can find the files, what happens when you try and copy them to the root of your C drive?

#14 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:41 PM

Hi

Can you see Windows and Documents and settings folders in both C and D drives ?. If yes one of them will be your old installation. You can copy the data from corresponding documents and settings folder. 

If you are too confused, here is an easy way.

1 ) Download InfraRecorder portable from  http://sourceforge.net/projects/infrarecorder/files/InfraRecorder/0.53/ir053_portable.zip/download

2 ) Burn all the data to a DVD. It can be run from safe mode. Refer this guide - http://dai-videotutes.blogspot.in/2007/07/click-to-play_14.html

3 ) After backing up the data , clean install the Windows. Currently your setup is a mess up. Make two partitions and store all data in to the second one. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 03 June 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#15 NicholeH

NicholeH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

Are you booting into safe mode, or safe mode with networking? If you can find the files, what happens when you try and copy them to the root of your C drive?

safe mode with networking. Do you mean copy them to the c drive while in the old os?

Hi

Can you see Windows and Documents and settings folders in both C and D drives ?. If yes one of them will be your old installation. You can copy the data from corresponding documents and settings folder. 

No, there is only Windows in the C drive not D, D is the cd drive and it's currently empty. Also, there is no folder named Documents and Settings at all in C.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users