Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help! CPU overheating after new ram installation.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hankdizzle

Hankdizzle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

Currently running the following:

Processor: AMD FX-6100 X6 3300MHZ 14MB 95W AM3+

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X EVO AMD 990X Socket AM3+ Motherboard

Ram:  Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz 2x4GB

SSD:  SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Upgraded Ram

-CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133

I bought the RAM above and a new SSD drive to upgrade my PC.  My motherboard states it supports DDR3 2133mhz ram but now I am not sure.  I installed the new ram and remove the old  ram.  I had also installed the SSD and reinstalled Windows 7 on it.  After about 30-60 minutes the comp turned off.  My comp would turn off randomly from time to time(like once in a bluemoon) so I didnt worry about it.    But then it started turning off every 30-60 minutes or so.   I realized the CPU was over heating.  The weather did get hot and humid so my room was warmer than normal so I thought maybe this could be it but I got scared and took the new ram out and put the old ram back in. My tower is well ventilated.  CPU has heatsink and fan attached that seem to be working properly.  I use my PC for serious music production and gaming.  The problem continues and now I do not know what to do.  Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!    

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Hi,

Have you gone into the BIOS setup area to see what sort of temperatures you are running? It could be that you need a bigger, badder cooling system on your CPU.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Hankdizzle

Hankdizzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

Yeah last time i checked it was running around 130 degrees.  Whats a normal temp for it to be running at?

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:11 PM

running around 130 degrees

I assume that's Fahrenheit, right? Then it's 54.4°C, not too bad. I wouldn't let it go over 55°C. Make sure what the temperature is at the exact time the system crashes. If you are running that temp your system is not crashing from overheating. Check the BIOS and confirm the shutdown temperature it is set at; if it is 54°C bump it up to 60. Test: remove the side of the case, put a window fan blowing in on medium speed and see if your crashes stop.

If this doesn't help, I think you better start looking for other causes. Download Whocrashed (free) and run it, it may give some info on what is causing this. Keep us posted.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Hankdizzle

Hankdizzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

So yesterday the temperature in my room was about 10 degrees cooler and my comp did not shutdown once. So I think its safe to say I need to add a cooling system to my CPU. Hopefully that's it. I'll keep you posted if anything changes .

#6 pljay03

pljay03

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

Take out the RAM and touch it, is that hot as hell too, or no? Make sure you didn't put it in backwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users