Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1/2 hour boot time

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dmh

dmh

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

Hi,

Periodically (sometimes after a week, sometimes not for two months) my seven year old Pentium 3.0 G running XP3 will boot up nearly entirely but then take half an hour to finish. The desktop shows up but the hour glass just rotates. If I shut it down and reboot it still wants its half hour. It then runs fine. I've run diagnistics of the hard drive and the registry (Norton, Malaware, a long list of Dell diagnostics) none of which show any problems.

Is this something that calls for a re-install of the operating system? I've never done one with less than 2 days of pain between the reinstall and reloading all my software so I don't want to try it on a lark.

Is it an indication of impending hard drive failure?

I don't want to replace the computer. I spend 80% of my time using legacy software that won't load in Windows 8 (I tried on my wife's computer).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

I would try running the chkdsk /r command, as a first step.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.  Type Y in new screen and hit Enter.  Reboot...the command will execute, before booting into Windows.

If the chkdsk /r does not complete and any onscreen error message occurs during its running...please copy and post such in your next reply.

Louis

#3 dmh

dmh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

Thank you Louis,

Chkdsk /r said the disk was clean. It then booted normally.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

Typically...long boot times may be caused by various factors limiting system ability to detect hardware and/or to read the boot files.

Causes can range from hardware to damaged boot files to damaged partition and so on...a lot of trial-and-error is involved with these sorts of problems.

I would see what happens, for a couple of days, assuming the time remains reasonable.  If a delay is eincountered again, just post to this topic and we'll try a few other things.

Louis

#5 dmh

dmh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

Thank you.  I can see where diagnosing would be very hard since there's nothing wrong once it boots. Living with it would likely be easier than endless trial and error. My real question is whether jumping to the end point and reinstalling the operating system and repartitioning the disk would probably (not guarantees of course) fix it or if this sort of problem usually is something else. I wouldn't mind spending the two days if it'd likely produce a good result.

Thank you!

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

How long does it take to boot to safe mode?

#7 dmh

dmh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

I've never had a delay booting to safe mode but don't do that often. The very long regular boots only happen on average once every 3-4 weeks and then the computer works fine.

#8 RecklessX

RecklessX

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

There may be software running in the background.

Windows updates or Norton. Anything you may have set to run every 3 weeks to 1 month interval.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#10 dmh

dmh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

Thank you. I'll try that, but a question before I trip. Currently the Selective Startup is checked with 5 items included:  Process SYSTEM.INI file, Process WIN.INI file, Load System Services, Load Startup Items, and Use Original BOOT.INI.  If I unselect all five it jumps to Diagnostic Startup. Should I leave Use Original BOOT.INI checked and uncheck the other four?

Thank you!

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

You can leave original boot.ini and system services checked if you like.

#12 dmh

dmh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

Thank you. It'll take a couple of months to see if it works but there's hope!!

Thanks again.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

Well, keep us posted :)

#14 Nitman

Nitman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

Would these answers apply also to networked configured XP computers?

Thanks for help!

Nitman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users