Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Ide Drives, One Scsi Raid Pci Card, Dual Booting

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:10 PM

I recently bought a PCI ATA 133 RAID Card from Compusa so I could add an Iomega ZIP drive to my computer without loosing one of my other drives. I learned that it wouldn't work that way, so I connected my primary slave hard drive to the RAID card and made the ZIP drive the new PS drive.

Everything works fine. :thumbsup:

But what I want to do now is somewhat complicated.

I currently run Windows XP Pro SP2 on the Primary Master drive (hereafter, "drive 1") and I use the second hard drive (which used to be the PS but now is connected to the RAID card) for storage (hereafter, "drive 2"). Both drive have a single partition formatted in NTFs.

I want to setup a dual boot with Windows 98SE/XP Pro. I know that Windows 98 must be on the first partition of the boot drive. So, I want to move Drive 1 to the RAID card then create a FAT32 partition on Drive 2 where I will install Windows 98.

What makes it so complicated: I really, really do not want to have to reformat, repartition or otherwise damage the data on either drive, though the data on Drive 2 could be burned to a CD and restored after any such formatting. Additionally, my experience with RAID setups is extremely limited. :flowers:

Any help would be appreciated. My head starts hurting even when I'm just thinking about this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:42 PM

First off, don't add the Zip drive to the primary IDE channel as it probably works at only 33MHz. This will force your primary IDE master device, the boot hard drive, to slow down from 100MHz to 33MHz. You didn't say why you didn't hook up your zip drive to the secondary IDE channel, but I suppose its because you already have 2 optical drives occupying it.

You might try moving what is now your slave optical drive to the RAID controller and configure it to be a master, then configure the zip drive to be the slave device on the secondary IDE channel. You also didn't say why the zip drive didn't work on the RAID controller. It should have worked, other than for the fact that zip drives have always been problematic to hook up.

As for creating a dual-boot setup, you may have to bite the bullet and be prepared to wipe drive 1, create 2 partitions on it and format the first physical partition to use FAT for 98SE and the second to be NTFS for XP. This can all be done by using an XP install disk without actually installing XP into the first partition. Once the partitions are set up, install '98 onto the first partition. Then install XP onto the second partition. XP is smart enough to detect the existing '98 OS and pop up a screen at boot time to select which OS you want to boot up.

Note that this configuration keeps drive 2 unchanged as the slave device on the primary IDE channel. I hope this helps.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:53 PM

The Zip drive wasn't recognized by the RAID bios program, which is why I couldn't use that configuration.

I'm less concerned about disk 2 remaining intact than I am about disk 1. Disk 1 has the Windows XP installation and I'd like to not have to reinstall XP plus several years on cumulative updates from Microsoft. What I'm looking for is a way to make the existing XP installation run from drive 1 in the slave position, then repartitioning drive 2 with 98 on it and in the master position.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:35 PM

See if this will help:

Multibooting with Windows XP

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s.../multiboot.mspx

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the info, Enthusiast, but I'm afraid that it was little help.

Could I backup the Windows XP installation to a DVD, reformat/partition the boot drive, install Windows 98SE on the system partition, install XP on the second partition and then "restore" my backup over the fresh XP installation?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:49 AM

If you are trying to keep your installation of XP operable backing it up isn't what will work. Backups are just to save data.
If you mean can you backup your data and then transfer it to a new XP install - yes you can.

If you just want to clone the drive with XP on it (including all data) -What you can do is image the drive XP is on and then place that image on the second partition on the newly formatted drive you installed Win 98 on.

Norton Ghost, Digital Dolly or some similar program must be used to accomplish that. (Digital Dolly is freeware)

Digital Dolly is a program that can clone (copy) drives to drives, drives to files, files to drives, or files to files. It is similar to the Symantec product known as Ghost. Digital Dolly can also clone entire disk partitions in block-wise fashion. Dolly can be used to clone the operating system of a computer to another drive.

When Dolly is used in a network, the server (or other designated computer called the master) sends data to one or more client machines. The clients store the data on their hard drives. A server can clone data to all the clients in a network. Alternatively, clients can send the data to other clients, and the process can continue until the data has been cloned to as many machines as desired. Dolly can be used to back up or restore hard drive partitions, as well as to back up, restore, or archive data. Dolly can be run from a bootable CD-ROM in the event of corruption of the original data on the hard drive.

Digital Dolly Download
http://www.download.com/3000-2248-10220909.html

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 April 2006 - 04:53 AM.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:42 AM

Can these files (drive images) fit on a DVD? If not, does Digital Dolly allow for disk spanning?

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:55 AM

Digital Dolly fits on a CD, and runs from the cd.

Your image may fit on several cds or one or two DVDs, but you have a second hd with it already on it. (or you can put it on it) Install your second hd as a slave on the middle connector on the IDE cable with the master drive on the end connector. Just move the image from one drive to another.

The second IDE channel should be for your optical drives - cds, dvds - period.

Deal with the raid array later if you must.
(What's the deal with a zip drive anyway? They are obsolete with usb thumb drives going up to 2 gigs nowadays and a 256meg usb thumb drive going for around $19.)

Edited by Enthusiast, 19 April 2006 - 10:58 AM.

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:28 PM

The Zip drive is for work. We have archives going back 10 years mostly on Zip disks. I keep telling them that we could save a lot of time by storing it all on our local server, but no one wants to spend a couple of days doing it. :thumbsup:

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:20 PM

We have archives going back 10 years mostly on Zip disks

Good grief! At ten bucks a whack, that could add up to serious money! You could put seven full zip disks on one CD for about thirty cents.

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:43 PM

They were donated, I think, by Iomega or Compusa or somesuch way back when.

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:06 PM

Ok, current plan is as follows:
  • backup drive 2, then erase to make room.
  • move drive 2 from the RAID card to the primary slave position
  • run digital dolly and make an image of drive 1
  • save the image to drive 2
  • wipe drive 1
  • partition drive 1 (4 GB FAT32, remaining space NTFS)
  • install Windows 98SE on FAT32 partition
  • run digital dolly to "restore" the image of drive 1 to the second partition of drive 1
What'd ya think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users