Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I know files don't "disappear" but .xps, all same name, vanished...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chela236

chela236

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

I am unemployed and every week I file my claim. I have been using a folder setup (consistently for months) for my tracking and in case I need to produce info to the state).

Each week is dated (month & week ending), includes folder for each company I applied to and also includes a folder named Weekly which includes an .xps of the claim (always title claim.xps) and the confirmation (always conf.xps)  from the Dept. Website with all my official info before I hit the next button and it is all whisked away and I cannot make any more changes.

So now to the really weird part.  Last week, all of the files entitled claim.xps have vanished.  The conf.xps are there and the other files are intact as well.  I am not missing any other .xps files.  I backed up 2012 (I have been out of work for over a year) and backed up thru Feb of 2013, but March, April and part of May - gone, just the "claim" files.

I used recuva to search in recycle bin (i looked for .xps, weekly, claim and all combinations) as well as my own methods to search in other places.  I just don't understand how this would happen.  No, I did not choose to delete all files named "claim" ;)

I have all my info, so not end of the world, but I am just totally baffled as to what could possibly make this happen?  Oh, re a virus, I use SEP weekly.  It has found a tracking cookie twice in the last few months via an email. quarantined, deleted.

Anyone have any ideas? 

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

You did a search on the system...using the Windows search function...for all .xps files, using a wildcard?

The search entry would be *.xps".

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 June 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#3 chela236

chela236
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

Hi,

yes, that was the first thing I did.  Then I used recuva, even did a deep scan w/o results.  I make the "claim" and "conf" at the exact same time (literally less than a minute apart) and all the conf.are in place.

just baffled. :-/

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

If the files exist on the system...and you have all file extensions reflected as showing...then the search for all .xps files should uncover them.

My experience with Recuva is that...if the files had been accidentally delleted, Recuva would have enabled recovery of such.

Sorry I on't have better suggestions.

Louis

#5 chela236

chela236
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

thanks.  yeah, it's beyond me.  I have had other files "disappear" in the past but they were never ones that mattered all that much so I never really fretted over them. This one just has me curious.  I will say that the times this seems to have occurred is after a disk cleanup (using Local Disk Properties), but not sure about that connection.

I get a little lax about backing up everything other than my photography) but this is changing.

#6 chela236

chela236
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

Update! So, I don't know why I did not think of this before (feeling rather stupid), but I decided to look for previous versions of the folders.  Sure enough, it seems that all the Weekly folders containing my claim.xps were "last seen" May 22.  Next version, May 27 they were gone.  What happened b/t in those 5 days I am not sure.  There was an automatic restore point on the 22nd and then there is a restore UNDO on the 27th but not sure what it was for, will have to dig around, but it is likely the culprit. 

Anyway, looks like I should be able to retrieve most of my missing claim files.  Still not sure why only those are missing, or maybe there ar more.  Maybe I will just do a restore and then reinstall the few things affected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users