Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

volume (available) of hard drive decreasing gradually without a apparent reason

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mikel101

mikel101

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

Hello.
I need an urgent help please. Suddenly the empty space in my C drive decreasing without that i installed anything. It's going down every some minutes/hours and there is left only about 8 GB. before that i had about 17 GB and it's keeping going down. What's going on here? i cleaned trash files with CCleaner, scaned viruses&spywares with Eset Smart Security, Malwarebytes and i also ran in Advanced System Care and nothing helped! 

What's could be the broblem and how can i fix it? Is it can be a Rookit? What are the possible solutions?
Here is a report of the empty space on my C drive:
14.7!!
12.9 - after that i installed a little application in my computer i saw that the 

empty space drop to this number. It's not sure at all that the installation 

dropped all of the missing place all at once, however it took some little 

space, it's sould be very light..
3.53 - after cleanning of 5 GB with CCleaner!
10.7 - on the next day, when i checked i see suddenly that it's the empty 

space.
12.1 - after restart of my computer (usually in the end of the using i'm 

choosing in the Hibernate option. I use to do it for years and the problem 

showed only in the last period).

7.60 - from today.
----

----the end of the report----
Thanks for the helpers!

Edited by hamluis, 03 June 2013 - 01:40 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:16 PM

All those numbers you posted...are pretty meaningless without knowing how large the Windows partition is.

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link.

Louis

#3 mikel101

mikel101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hello Louis.

The Windows paratition is 133 GB total.

If you still need the Snaphost i will do it later.

Sincerely,

Michael.

Edited by mikel101, 02 June 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

I would proceed with the snapshot as Louis requested. Additionally, I would recommend that you download and run Zero Assumption Disk Space Visualizer. This tool will map out how much space the items in your filesystem are using.

Note: This tool can take [i]a while[/b] to run (on the order of 40 minutes to an hour) as it needs to map out your entire partition. It will finish though. Once the report is generated. . . you can click on the various boxes in the infographic it gives you to look at subresults (repeat as necessary). You can use this report to figure out what's taking up space in your drive. Once you figure out where the space is going you can identify the culprit.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

Just a note...it's generally agreed that any Windows partition...should reflect approximately 15% of total partition space...as free space, in order for Windows to function effectively.

If System Restore is enabled and functioning, free space will change periodically on any system using SR.

Louis

#6 mikel101

mikel101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

Hi Louis.

Firstly, here is the Snapshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/afGqFu2ZRbQPCaM0LdPzaJD

Secondly, about your new reply: i know that this is necessary that will be a free space for Windows to function effectively, this is manily why my problem is bothering me. And about SR, i suppose that it's shouldn't take so much space. In addition, i tool care to this problem just in the last period. Moreover, the free space getting down and up, not only down, so i think that it's say that the SR is not the reason for my broblem.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

LENOVO NITU1 (U2E1):   160 °C

298GB Hitachi HTS543232L9A300 (SATA):  48 °C

Over 50 instance of Chrome running on your system...while this system reflects 6 processes currently running on IE.  I'd say that's a problem or you have a gazillion windows open in your browser.

You seem to have explorer.exe and explorer.EXE running, while I only have 1 listing for explorer.exe.

explorer.exe   Process ID: 4308    User:  Michael    Domain: Michael-PC    Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe    Memory Usage: 60 MB   Peak Memory Usage: 462 MB

explorer.exe   Process ID: 9052    User:  Michael    Domain: Michael-PC    Path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE   Memory Usage: 32 MB   Peak Memory Usage: 59 MB

My guess is that there is a fair chance of your being infected, based on cursory review of what is installed.  I'll move this to Am I Infected where the more knowledgeable can affirm/refute my possibility.

Louis

#8 mikel101

mikel101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

HI Louis.

I think i found the problem thanks to you! I checked the volume of my SR file and it's was more then 10 GB! now i have 21.3 GB free space!

Any way, the free space keep going down easyily, so i'm not sure that i havn't a some Malware or other probelm in my system..

Threrefore, i wil do what that Blade suggested..

Thanks,

Michael.

#9 mikel101

mikel101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

Hi Louis.

About chrome's instances - i actually use in a lot of instances simultaneously.

Is it a problem?

OK, i'm waiting for your check if my system is infected..

Thank yo very much,

Michael.

#10 mikel101

mikel101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

Hi Blade.

I downloaded this tool and got a visual report but how can i follow where the space gone? I just can to see what the currently space that my folders takes, but i can't to compare between today to yesterday or eariler, unless i will compare manually by writing, for example, in notepad a report..

Can you teach me how to use this tool in mode which will help me to deal with my above problem?

Thanks,

Michael.

I would proceed with the snapshot as Louis requested. Additionally, I would recommend that you download and run Zero Assumption Disk Space Visualizer. This tool will map out how much space the items in your filesystem are using.

Note: This tool can take [i]a while[/b] to run (on the order of 40 minutes to an hour) as it needs to map out your entire partition. It will finish though. Once the report is generated. . . you can click on the various boxes in the infographic it gives you to look at subresults (repeat as necessary). You can use this report to figure out what's taking up space in your drive. Once you figure out where the space is going you can identify the culprit.

#11 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

Hi Michael,

[quote]I just can to see what the currently space that my folders takes, but i can't to compare between today to yesterday or eariler, unless i will compare manually by writing, for example, in notepad a report.[quote]

Unfortunately, this tool isn't designed to let you do a comparison of disk usage between two different instances. It's designed to give you a "here and now" report of your current usage stats. If you want to do a comparison you'll need to manually record usage stats and then compare them at a later time. . . or use a different tool (none that would meet this need come to mind). The point of using the tool here is to let you see what's currently taking up your space. Once you identify something that looks weird (such as a lot of space being taken up by files you don't remember making) then you can research and figure out where those files are coming from, etc.

Hope that helps.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users