Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Windows Update, running sfc /scannow, and booting in Safe Mode.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 roserm

roserm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hello everyone,

Please bear with me here as I attempt to explain all of the issues I'm having with my computer right now. I'll try to explain everything as throroughly as possible, but if you need more information and/or log files to provide a more accurate solution, just let me know.

For starters, I am running an HP Pavilion dv6000 series (dv6748us to be exact) with Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit) installed. (Service pack 2.) About 6 months ago, I recovered this laptop from what I believe was the conflicker virus (kept redirecting pages, stopped updates and antivirus programs, etc.) and I managed to get Windows Update up and running again. My Help and Support wasn't working though, it was only working in Safe Mode, so I did some research and tried a bunch of suggested fixes (updating the registry, etc) and got that to work again as well. I am not sure if one of the diagnostic tools that I used while fixing Help & Support might have caused the problems I am having now (as I literally tried everything under the sun until I got it to work), but my Windows Update is not functioning correctly again, amongst other things.

A couple of weeks ago, I installed some updates and restarted the computer, but the updates didn't finish installing during reboot. It said the usual "Configuring Updates, do not turn off your computer," but never showed percentage complete or anything. It restarted, and when I opened Windows Update, it said the last time I checked for updates was never (obviously not true), and when I did attempt to check for updates, it skipped right to the message that tells me I need to restart my computer to finish installing updates. It continues to do this every time I open Windows Update. Once in a while, I try to restart it, just to see if it will work, and it never does.

I spent hours trying all of the solutions that I could find in Google. I tried running the System Update Readiness Tool, which seemed to run successfully (but did not solve the problem). I then tried the Fix It for Windows Update, and that didn't solve the problem. (It might be important for me to mention that I am also having problems with the Fix It Center itself, too. The individual tools like the one for Windows Update will run, but the Fix It Center program keeps giving me the error message that "A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting.") I also tried renaming the pending.xml file, then later I deleted it, after reading in another forum that renaming the file could cause system instabillity or something like that.

Unfortunately, I cannot use System Restore to fix any of my problems, because all of my earlier restore points are gone (I'm not sure if the virus wiped them out, or if the computer deleted them on it's own) but the only restore points I have stored are ones that were created recently, during the time I have been having these problems.

I tried running sfc /scannow to no avail, as it keeps telling me that there is a pending repair, but the pending repair never completes. I tried using the dism.exe/image:C\/cleanup-image /revertpendingactions command in the recovery center command prompt to stop this pending repair, and that didn't work because it claims that dism.exe does not exist/is not a valid command. No matter what I try, I cannot get this pending repair or my pending updates to complete.

I tried booting into Safe Mode several times as well, and it hangs up at crcdisk.sys while booting every time.

Being that I cannot use system restore, sfc /scannow, or get into Safe Mode, I am truly lost as to what I should do next. I am honestly unsure if the problems are related, but I just thought it would be logical to list all of them in one place.

Please note that I do not want to re-install Windows Vista, nor do I think that I need to, because the computer is functioning just fine for the most part.(I am using it to type this right now). I'd much rather bring it back to full functionality on my own, which I believe can be achieved with the help of the right person.

If anyone could provide any suggestions/solutions for me, it would be greatly appreciated! It would certainly relieve a lot of stress for me!

Edited by hamluis, 05 June 2013 - 11:29 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oblariang

oblariang

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

Hi,

i had the same problem a couple weeks ago.

I was googling so much, but in the end, solution was very simple.

Program tmpFix worked fine for me, and issue was removed.

After download just extract and run START.vbs, then reboot computer and it should be ok.

You can download tmpFix from here: http://uptobox.com/o0jx98q3y3ue

Cheers

#3 roserm

roserm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

Hi,

i had the same problem a couple weeks ago.

I was googling so much, but in the end, solution was very simple.

Program tmpFix worked fine for me, and issue was removed.

After download just extract and run START.vbs, then reboot computer and it should be ok.

You can download tmpFix from here: http://uptobox.com/o0jx98q3y3ue

Cheers

Seems a little fishy to me because I'm not comfortable downloading a program from a third party website. Does this "tmpFix" program have it's own website, or are you just trying to give me a virus so I have more problems to deal with? If it's a legitimate program, I would like the actual website please.

#4 oblariang

oblariang

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:43 AM

Hi, the program was developed by me + other 3 friends (we are studying IT academy, Boston). I just wanted to help, but understant that you're carrying about your pc, so anybody can help you different way,  :orange:

#5 niemiro

niemiro

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:12 AM

Hello, and welcome to Bleeping Computer :)

You have done an excellent job of trying all of the basics, but for the time being, I would like you to stop any further repair attempts whilst you work with me.

Your computer is in perhaps a more delicate state than you realise. The deal is, as you have already worked out, something went wrong over one of the reboots and we simply don't know at this time which pended operations went through, and which ones didn't. We may find that loads of important files didn't get updated, or that the registry didn't and the files did, etc. etc.

I can kick it out of repeatedly requesting a reboot whenever I like, but I must first assess the state of your computer. If everything is really messed up, as soon as we kick it out of its current precariously balanced state, everything could go head over heels.

So..., first and most importantly, I must assess the state of your computer, before attempting a fix, so I can take corrective action on any serious corruptions first. For this reason, this post is not a fix for your issue - it isn't going to fix it - it's just so I can collect the data I need about the current state of your computer.

Now, this error code is usually fixable, but please be aware that if things are *really* badly messed up, it might not. But...don't give up hope yet :)

I also tried renaming the pending.xml file, then later I deleted it, after reading in another forum that renaming the file could cause system instabillity or something like that.

I think you misunderstood what they meant :P

The deal is, changing its name from what it currently is is what causes the instability - and deleting it has the same effect. Although you should never call it pending.xml.old (protected name...), renaming it and deleting it cause the same problem...but deleting is worse as I'll now explain :P

First, there are actually two separate issues with approximately equal fixes. People get them muddled all the time (hence why a lot you read online about this issue is wrong), but there are actual subtle differences between the fixes. The two issues are what you have (repeatedly requesting reboot), and repeatedly configuring, reverting, etc. in a big loop over a reboot so that the computer never starts. Now, for the latter issue, pending.xml should not be renamed except as an EXTREMELY last resort ONLY [future readers, can that be any more clear :P]. And you should NEVER delete the file.

Fortunately, with your issue, you are less likely to cause immediate damage, but its the wrong fix at this time, so is still not ideal. And here, deleting it is also very wrong.

This file holds (most of) the actions pended over the reboot. If I work out that the first half succeeded, but the final half failed, I can use this file for forensics and perhaps repair based on what I know should have happened over the reboot (I can manually make those changes). If you delete it, I will never know what should have occured over that reboot, and my options for a fix will be much more limited.

So...if you still have it in the recycle bin, please restore it and save it somewhere. If you've completely deleted it...well hopefully we won't need it :P

Right....onto my quick system health check.

Export CBS folder

Click the Start button StartButton_16x16.gif then click Computer.

1. Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
  2. Find and double click on the Logs folder.
  3. Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.
  4. Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS. If you manage to find your pending.xml file, please paste it into CBS folder along with the other logs. If you can't, don't worry.
  5. Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  6. A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created.

Now upload it to somewhere like Skydrive (it will be too big for here). Make sure to make the file publicly accessible then post a link to it in this thread.

Thank you!

Richard

P.S. I don't work at this forum very much. I will do my very best not to, but if I forget about you because it isn't in my normal routine, please just bump the thread and I'll get notified and return :)

P.P.S. And my canned speeches aren't configured for here. You might see some stange line break arrangements :P

One of the very few people in the world who is truly enthused about Windows Update and how it works...

Yes, I'm a bit weird :P

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

At this point it would be well worth determining if this computer is still infected before attempting other repairs.  If this computer is still infected, trying to make repairs may be counter productive.

I would suggest opening a topic in the Am I Infected? What Do I Do? forum.  This forum has advanced members and staff who are well qualified to help determine if you are still infected.  If this computer is still infected, this is the best location to seek help.  If no infection is found you can always continue with this topic.

Just a suggestion. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

Moved topic to AII.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users